View Full Version : Installing php on UnixWare Server

10-16-2003, 01:50 PM
I've just about given up on trying to install php on our UnixWare server. Listed below is what I've done/had to do so far. This is the first time I've had a play with php, so I'm not really worried at the moment about all the extras it can do (mysql etc.), I just want to install it, have a play and compare it to Perl (which I usually use).

First I downloaded php4-4.1.2.pkg from caldera.com
pkgadd of that went fine, stuck the relevant lines in apache (version 1.3.14)

Restart of apache complains about missing postgressql, so I downloaded that (even though I'm not interested in it), postgresq-7.2.pkg again from caldera.com

next complaint (from apachectl configtest) is about mysql (missing libmysqlclient.so.6), downloaded and installed mysql-3.23.49.pkgwith pkgadd, but done nothing to activate it, which gave me a libmysqlclient.a but no .so.6 file. for a laugh, I tried to symbolically link the .a to .so.6 but as it's not an elf file, I got an error about that.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get just php installed using a pkgadd without lots of prerequisites, I'd be really grateful. (I started this process with an attempted src install but compile errors halted that approach).

10-17-2003, 10:00 AM
I have no experience with pkgadd , but its weird that postgreSQL would be configured into any PHP build as default.

locate your php.ini & check for any enabled extensions [ extension=php_pgsql.so; /*etc*/ ] , and disable them all , MySQL will be built in so you can't disable it if thats what PHP was compiled with.

so it really is worth rolling your own if possible , PHP does not demand too much from your system..

What compile errors are you getting ? , try a real basic install first ./configure --with-apxs=/path/to/apache/bin/apxs , or even ./configure for a cgi binary (& cli) , that way MySQL nor PostgreSQL nor any other extensions should be an issue.

if that works then work your way up.