View Full Version : A program ..

dada
10-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi all

Iím looking for a program (freeware if itís possible) that generates all the asp code to show, add, and delete data from an Access Database that is already made.
This is for someone who has little idea of asp so it should be easy and simple to use.
Any idea?

Thanks very much in advance

M@rco
10-14-2003, 05:34 PM
I don't think much of program-generated code but...

Access 2000 & XP (and perhaps 97 too, I don't recall) will generate ASP code for you. Simply create a suitable form in Access, and then "Export" to "Microsoft Active Server Pages".

It's *horrible* code, and you might need to tweak it, but it'll do the job if that's what you really want.

angiras
10-14-2003, 06:25 PM
"It's *horrible* code" Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrg ! I die !!!
it's more than Horrible :-)))

af11kcc
10-26-2003, 07:56 AM
I have some "very simple" ready made scripts to show, edit, delete and add data to an existing Access db.
It is classic ASP, dunno it is good for you...
Bye

raf
10-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Same here.

I've got a web-interface to administer an Access db lying around. It can create tables, variables, indexes + you can specify views, and update records.
Once wrote it as part of a site i helped on. I was planning on writing a few documentation-files and create a download-package but never found the time to do that.

wox3-iO
10-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Comment:
I've never tried to create a form in Access (2000), and I don't think I ever will. I like doing it myself, so I know excatly what it will do.

M@rco
10-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by wox3-iO
Comment:
I've never tried to create a form in Access (2000), and I don't think I ever will. I like doing it myself, so I know excatly what it will do. Presumably you mean creating forms for the purpose of generating ASP...

All my code is 100% home-grown (!) and I keep it that way - all the generated code I have ever seen is longwinded and downright inefficient to say the least, which is unsuprising since the code must be as generic as possible, and people using a program which generates ASP code probably aren't going to know any better. I don't even use other people's code (i.e. snippets from here or elsewhere on the net) for similar reasons. I'm not claiming to be an optimization god or anything, but I'm continually surprised at how *bad* so much posted code is...

Anyway, since dada's requirements indicated he has no ASP experience (at all), providing sample code isn't going to help him, and presumably if he were willing to contract a developer he would have said so. Thus *generating* some code is his only option. It will get the job done, but it won't win any awards! ;)

wox3-iO
10-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Yes, that is what I ment :D
Thanks for correcting me.

whammy
10-28-2003, 04:01 AM
Like Marco said, there is no "program" for doing this. You need to learn SQL (Structured Query Language).

:)

Look at the webmonkey tutorials to start with.

af11kcc
10-28-2003, 07:09 AM
is dada still around?

A1ien51
10-28-2003, 01:59 PM
A really good cheap book I would recommend for SQL is
SAMS: Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes by Ben Forta
Costs like $15 and I use it all the time. It is a quick little reference book that has great examples and that is how I learned SQL.

M@rco
10-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Am I missing something? Or are YOU?! ;)

If you look at dada's post he doesn't say he has problems with databases - it is the ASP itself, so learning SQL isn't the first thing he needs to concentrate on if you're suggesting he writes his own code....!

:p

And it looks like dada hasn't bothered to come back, so this thread has been a waste of everyone's time...!!

:rolleyes:

af11kcc
10-29-2003, 05:37 PM
I think dada has gone on vacation...

angiras
10-29-2003, 05:41 PM
is there a way to stop getting mails from a special thread
this one for example :-))

I am not really interested :-)

thankx and good luck with this one !

M@rco
10-29-2003, 06:11 PM
See the "unsubscribe from this thread" link at the bottom of this page... or the front page of your profile (http://www.codingforums.com/usercp.php).

whammy
10-29-2003, 08:26 PM
True, he'd have to learn ASP AND SQL. I'll leave this thread open for a couple more days, then I'm going to close it.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum