View Full Version : Windows 7 ultimate is going EXTREMELY slow.

bigcasey123
10-01-2012, 04:34 AM
I was fixing my moms friends computer and it was really slow (even after restoring to factory settings) so i thought a fresh install would fix it. I upgraded it to windows 7 ultimate but it's still slow. I'm 90% sure it's not a virus cause i ran Melarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and they found nothing. I thought maybe the files were corrupted so i thought the install would fix it. What is the problem? it does boot up faster but programs keep going unresponsive every time i click them. The specs of the computer are

4GB RAM
2GHz Intel I3 CPU
200GB hdd

Don't know the rest sorry. The OS i installed was a 32 bit and the laptop was a 64 bit but i don't think that's really the problem. What should i do? i ran Ccleaner and that cleaned the computer but it's still slow. I was gonna use DBAN on it but since it's not my computer i don't want to risk messing the hard drive up.

stevenmw
10-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Open your start menu, right click "Computer", then next to the rating click "Windows Experience index".

There is a link near the bottom that says "Tips for improving your computer's performance".

Run through some of the suggestions and see what happens.

The Windows Experience index page gives you an overviw of your computers specs.

fireplace_tea
10-02-2012, 06:38 PM
These things are so hard to troubleshoot without being there in person. It could be that you really do have a hardware issue. Is the computer over heating? Is there a lot of dust around the fan or CPU? Is everything still cleaning plugged in on the motherboard? A clean install typically formats the drive first, so it shouldn't be a software issue.

stevenmw
10-02-2012, 06:43 PM
These things are so hard to troubleshoot without being there in person. It could be that you really do have a hardware issue. Is the computer over heating? Is there a lot of dust around the fan or CPU? Is everything still cleaning plugged in on the motherboard? A clean install typically formats the drive first, so it shouldn't be a software issue.

This could very much be the case. From the specs you gave it sounds like the machine should perform fairly well. Dust around the fan or CPU could cause it to overheat. I'd try to adjust a few settings first to see if it helps, but if that doesn't work then open it up and check the cleanliness.

michael.james
10-06-2012, 01:53 PM
It can be a hardware issue.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum