View Full Version : Search Form - How To?

Desorgan
10-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Hi, i'm having some trouble, in building a search form, like this one - http://trainingreg.macromedia.com/tregexternal/.
i'm doing a realstate seller web site, and i want to make a form so people can search the realstate database.

Thanks, for your pacience.

Toobad
10-09-2003, 05:35 PM
What aspect of the search page are you having problems with?

Desorgan
10-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Well, i can't make the search form comunicate with the database, i have another example - http://195.95.4.53/scriptss/searchform1.asp?Language=PT&MainType=1

This is exactly what i need.

Is it ok to use a database in access?

Desorgan

raf
10-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Maybe post the code of the page that runs the select ...

Is it ok to use a database in access?
As long as you don't have to many simultanious users (less then 20), that wount be a problem.
If there is a lot of db-interaction in your site (or if you have a lot of simultanious users) then it would be better to upsize to MsServer or mySQL or PostGreSQL or so.

Desorgan
10-11-2003, 06:55 PM
The real problem is that i don't know hot to make a form like the ones i exampled.

I know a thing or two but i can't built the hole thing, i've been searchin the net for tutorials and examples, and i still can't do want i need, i'm starting to feel a little frustraded.

Thanks for your pacience.
Desorgan

raf
10-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Hmm.

They are just regular html-forms.

Do you mean you want some help on how to build a form with the selectboxes, that are dynamically build after all options were selected from the db ?

Desorgan
10-11-2003, 07:41 PM
i know how to build the form in html, but the rest is still a mistery, it's obvious i need a database, but i don't know wich type, perhaps mysql, as you mencioned before, and also a result page.
But the main problem it's how to connect the form page with the database.

:o

Desorgan

raf
10-11-2003, 07:55 PM
Sory, but you need to give more info about what exactly you need.

Do you need help on how to create the optionlists in the form, based on the entrys in a db? or o you need some help on how you can use the values from the form to select the corresponding records ?

whammy
10-14-2003, 03:26 AM
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/02/35/index4a.html?tw=backend

Go through that tutorial successfully (or present the problems you're having with it), and get back to us. :) That's my suggestion anyway, regarding your previous posts.

I learned how to use databases (and gleaned an understanding of relational databases) using HTML, ASP and Access successfully with that tutorial when I was a complete newbie at databases.... it's a bit cheesy, but it's well written and functional. ;)

Desorgan
10-14-2003, 04:41 PM
I will do that, thanks for your efforts and for your patience.

I'm very pleased with the participation, i wasn't expecting all this attention. Once again, thanks.

Desorgan
:thumbsup:

whammy
10-15-2003, 04:31 AM
It should serve you well - it's a good tutorial, even if the writing is cheesy :|

As long as you master that, you'll have the connection basics down, and lots of other stuff to boot. It sure helped me when I was new to this stuff anyway.

Please feel free to post further questions, as that's what this forum is all about. But I'd do your best to get that working first, so you get the basics down.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum