View Full Version : variable variables

10-06-2003, 05:10 PM
I am migrating from an older php version which is causing me a lot of problems.
I have a question answer form where the admin can enter five questions and 4 answers each and a radio group for each question for selecting the correct answer
For eg
Question1-textbox for question
Choice1 -text box with name choice1
Choice2 -text box with name choice2
Choice3 -text box with name choice3
Choice4 -text box with name choice4
Choice5 -text box with name choice5

Select the correct answer-radio box with name answer1 and these values
1)choice1 2)choice2 3)choice3 4)choice4 5)choice5

And once the form is submitted,I could find the answer that the admin selected using

and similarly for the answers for remaining questions

Now this doesn't work with newer version of php.So can anybody tell me how to solve this.

10-06-2003, 10:03 PM

10-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Acecool is that supposed to be an answer.Thanks anyway

10-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Looks like you're not using the newer superglobal arrays $_POST, $_GET etc. which replaced the old way of having the variables automagically put into the script by enabling register_globals since PHP 4.2. You have to rewrite your script or enable register_globals. I'll recommend the first option.

BTW, "doesn't work" is very little information to begin with. Any error messages? What does var_dump($answer1); say?

10-07-2003, 01:00 PM
modred, I know it doesn't work coz in newer versions of php register globals are off.I cant turn it on coz its not my server so I cant edit the php.ini file.Anyway I found a solution

Use extract() function.That will help me not to rewrite the code.Thanks for trying to help modred

10-07-2003, 02:32 PM
FYI: Another possibility would have been to use import_request_variables() for a quick and hacky fix of your problem.

10-07-2003, 03:17 PM
with import_request_variables() I will have to rename all my variables and the "variable variables" code will not work.And renaming all my code is a very tedeous work and error prone too. extract() does what I want for me.
Thanks modred