View Full Version : InnerText?

me'
10-03-2003, 06:24 PM
I've 'grabbed' an element using getElementById, now I want to find the text that's inside that element.

I could use innerHTML, but at the moment that returns "<a href="#"> Sample Link </a>" and I'd have to write some kind of parsing program to just get 'Sample Link'.

If there's no property like this, please just tell me, I enjoy the challenge of trying to write programs myself and I'd like to create the parser myself.

fredmv
10-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Well, there is an innerText (http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/innertext.asp) property but it's IE-only.

me'
10-03-2003, 06:33 PM
Alright, thanks.

me'
10-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Ok, I've written a parser and it works fine, but one more question.

Is there any way, when we have a block of text, to find out how many pixels it is wide on the users screen?

It sounds nice and complicated, so I thought I'd ask before having a go.

fredmv
10-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by me'
Is there any way, when we have a block of text, to find out how many pixels it is wide on the users screen?

By default, I don't think so... But search around here. Good ole' cheesebag put together a custom script that did something like that I believe.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could we check out your script for getting the text inside an element? :D

me'
10-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Here's my function:

function foo() {
lefts = getElementsByClass('left','e');
alert(lefts[0].innerHTML);

var s='', t='', intag;
for (var i=0; i<lefts.length; i++) {
s = lefts[i].innerHTML;
for (var j=0; j<s.length; j++){
if (s[j] == '<') intag = true;
if (!intag) t += s[j];
if (s[j] == '>') intag = false;
}
alert(t); //Will change this to something more useful eventually
t='';
}
}

This is the getElementsByClass function that you'll also need (posted by cheesebag on my thread 'getElementById for classes?' a while back. Do a search.)

function getElementsByClass( _class, el_id )
{
var parent, els, returnArr = new Array(), i = 0;
parent = (el_id) ? document.getElementById(el_id) : document;
els = parent.getElementsByTagName('*') || parent.all;
for (i; i < els.length; i++)
if (els[i].className == _class)
returnArr[returnArr.length] = els[i];
return returnArr;
}

fredmv
10-03-2003, 09:17 PM
Alright, cool. Nice job. :thumbsup:

I'll have to look around for that other script cheesebag made... I'm almost positive he made something like that.

Good luck.

me'
10-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Thanks, help appreciated :)

fredmv
10-03-2003, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but check this thread (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26689) out. That's the one I was thinking of.

me'
10-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Well, that'll return a space, but I didn't think of reading the offsetWidth... heh...

I'll do that and minus the padding etc.

Well, thanks for the help.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum