View Full Version : 'done with errors on page' ???

10-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Hi everyone. I have a piece of javascript, but when the page is published i get an error message in the corner saying 'done with errors on page', then when i click on it i get the following message : line: 128, char: 0, error message: 'desriptions' is unidentified. (you can see the page at www.sunnydelights.com/napleshomes.htm). I am now stumpt as what to do, please help. Thanx.

10-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by stw
'desriptions' is unidentified.

You have a variable that is most likely named descriptions and then, in another part of your script you tried to reference it but spelled it wrong.

10-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanx for that, but there doesnt seem to be anything mispelled, any other suggestions??

10-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Sorry i doesnt say 'unidentified', it says 'undefined'. Hope that makes a difference. Thanx.

10-03-2003, 10:39 PM
At some points, you refer to an object called "descriptions" and attempt to access its innerHTML object.

The "descriptions" object you're trying to reference does not exist in the script.

I also see in your script that you at times refer to document.getElementById("descriptions").innerHTML - this is better, because you're now actually referring to an HTML element on the page.

Simply by virtue of being assigned an id of "descriptions" does not enable a global reference of "descriptions" to that object (it's a span on your page); otherwise, we wouldn't have the very function you use: document.getElementById().

My recommendation to you is to make the first line of your function(s?) look like this:
var descriptionSpan = document.getElementById("descriptions");, then replace your script's references to "descriptions" with descriptionSpan.

10-06-2003, 05:48 PM
what i think has happened is that the code originally came with a function that when you select a option from the drop down box, it then displayed a description to go with it. I removed the descriptions as i did not want it, but it seems as if i havent removed the coding for that. Basically i dont need that function in the coding, all i need is to select an option form the drop down box and then go that selected page. rather than re-code the 'descriptions' problem iam having would it be easier just to remove it completely??? Thanx.