View Full Version : Is there a online text editor that can be used with php?

MrBiggZ
08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi!

I really couldn't figure out how to word my subject. I'm not looking to code in it, not at all!

What I am wishing to do is be able to have the user edit a file in the pseudo editor. They'd be able to format the text how ever and then save it on the back end and the front end would read that file and format the text as it had been in the pseudo editor.

I'll search and dig but I really don't know what the technical term(s) for it is!

Thanks for your input! :thumbsup:

DrDOS
08-15-2012, 07:08 PM
You really don't need anything more than a form with a textarea input to modify a file, you then need to fopen the file on the site when you submit the form and add the textarea values to the file and close it. however you need to be very careful with this sort of thing as it grants a lot of access to a user. As for editing an already existing file, that would be more complicated.

MrBiggZ
08-15-2012, 07:52 PM
You really don't need anything more than a form with a textarea input to modify a file, you then need to fopen the file on the site when you submit the form and add the textarea values to the file and close it. however you need to be very careful with this sort of thing as it grants a lot of access to a user. As for editing an already existing file, that would be more complicated.

Yeah, I'm doing that already opening a file in a text area and then submitting the change.

I was looking at something like what you type in here when you make a post. You're able to format the text, make lists, insert hyper links. I suppose I could give the user the a button or something on the form so if you click bold it'll give you the tags for bold. Although it won't be as pretty as highlighting the text clicking bold and the tags wrap around it. *sigh*

DrDOS
08-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm sure there must be some editors like that but I do stuff 'by hand' with a bit of copy and paste, so I haven't needed it. I've even thought about 'writing' an editor for making HTML pages, but I run up against the fact people who don't know any code are the ones that use editors, and so they end up writing bad code, even with the editor.

Maybe someone will point you to one.

MrBiggZ
08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm sure there must be some editors like that but I do stuff 'by hand' with a bit of copy and paste, so I haven't needed it. I've even thought about 'writing' an editor for making HTML pages, but I run up against the fact people who don't know any code are the ones that use editors, and so they end up writing bad code, even with the editor.

Maybe someone will point you to one.

True. And BTW .. like the name DrDOS! DOS what a concept! :thumbsup:

AndrewGSW
08-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Something like TinyMCE (http://www.tinymce.com/)?

tangoforce
08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
CKEditor is what I use. It allows you to do all of the text formatting you ask for. It comes with samples showing you how to output it in php and when it comes to submitting it, it is sent as a normal html form field that you can save straight to a DB field.

As for DrDos, perhaps he should stick to advising on dos ;)

DrDOS
08-15-2012, 11:22 PM
As for DrDos, perhaps he should stick to advising on dos ;)
Haven't used the stuff in years, not since I'm on Linux, which is much better for doing things.

I looked at the CKEditor, it's nice too, still may not be what the OP really needs.

MrBiggZ
08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks all!

I had tripped over CKEditor haven't ventured in to it yet. Looks nice!

Never heard of TinyMCE I'll have to check it out either when I get home night or tomorrow. At work right now so it'll have to wait!

Thanks for the responses!

Sent from my SPH-D710 Using ForumTouch for Android

tangoforce
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I looked at the CKEditor, it's nice too, still may not be what the OP really needs.

Yes it is. The op has clearly specified what they want, the features they need etc and CKE offers the whole lot.

SlayerACC
08-16-2012, 01:44 AM
Hey tango,

We're can I download ckeditor?

Thanks in advance.

I was disappointed in tinymce as it makes you buy additions to the program...

Slayer.

safeservicejt
08-16-2012, 05:06 AM
CKEditor is best select ^^

tangoforce
08-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Hey tango,

We're can I download ckeditor?

From memory it;s ckeditor.com however google will put you in the right direction if I am wrong :thumbsup:

MrBiggZ
08-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks peoples!

I'll have to give both of those a look see! :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum