View Full Version : inline popup window.

ventura
09-29-2003, 07:11 PM
i have some text on a page where when you click on it it pops up a new window. how can i make that an inline popup so that it looks like it is on the same page. can you point me to a good tutorial?

thanks,
ed.

zoobie
09-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Not clear on what you mean...

<a href="#" onclick='window.open("page.html","pagename","width=200,height=100,etc.");'>Pop it</a>

Like dat?

With all the pop-up killers on the market, it's probably a good idea not to use pop-ups anymore...:eek:

ventura
09-29-2003, 07:54 PM
no, i don't want to open a new window, i just want to sort of do a "fake" popup where when you click on think, more descriptive text shows up (but in the same browser window), but right next to the text i clicked on.

fredmv
09-29-2003, 08:12 PM
I think something like this (http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/) is what you're looking for.

zoobie
09-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Ahh...a tooltip. Well, fred's link is in color but it loads a lot of javascript retarding page loading.
I'd simply use the 'title' attribute with formatting:
<a href="page.html" title="Small description here
This is line 2
This is line 3">Link</a>

It works on hover so the user doesn't have to click anything...Can work with an image, too...but use 'alt' instead of 'title'.

An 'alert' or 'confirm' box with description could be used, too.

Now you have choices...

Roy Sinclair
09-29-2003, 09:51 PM
It works on hover so the user doesn't have to click anything...Can work with an image, too...but use 'alt' instead of 'title'. :eek:

Always use Title for tooltips! ALT is for accessability purposes and can be used with Title on an image. Don't let IE's incorrect implementation of ALT fool you. IE will display the title text as a tooltip if it's present and the alt text if the title text is empty but the alt text is not so title is always the preferred property to use.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum