View Full Version : making a GIF play once and freeze on last frame?

transmoderata
07-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Question in title. Is it possible? Thanks.

Philip M
07-19-2012, 05:47 PM

No, I don't think so. But you can replace the animated .gif image after a calculated perriod of time with another static image which is the last frame.

All advice is supplied packaged by intellectual weight, and not by volume. Contents may settle slightly in transit.

transmoderata
07-19-2012, 05:48 PM
No, I don't think so. But you can replace the animated .gif image after a calculated perriod of time with another static image which is the last frame.

All advice is supplied packaged by intellectual weight, and not by volume. Contents may settle slightly in transit.

Okay, I know how to do that. Just seeing if there was a more practical way. Thanks.

Philip M
07-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Most animation programs include an option to loop or not loop.

VIPStephan
07-20-2012, 12:54 AM
No, I don't think so.

I think it is possible. Havenít done it yet but I seem to remember that in Adobe Fireworks you can create a GIF that runs just once.

Len Whistler
07-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Try using GIMP ....... When you save the animation uncheck the loop box. I'm using GIMP 2.6.11

-----

Philip M
07-20-2012, 07:52 AM
I think it is possible. Havenít done it yet but I seem to remember that in Adobe Fireworks you can create a GIF that runs just once.

Yes, initially I was thinking of an animated .gif which was not created by the OP. But I then recalled that most or all gif animation programs give the option of not looping, although that naturally applies only to animations you create yourself.

Major Payne
07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Freezing on the last frame is the key here. You could try making the first and last frame identical, but set the first frame with a very, very short display time which, hopefully, would not be noticed. Once it looped through once, it should stop on first frame again. Haven't tried this, but a little tweaking ought to get it right.

Len Whistler
07-20-2012, 07:58 PM
This animated GIF is generated with GIMP, and the loop box unchecked.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l535/forexforex/Untitled-1.gif

----

Major Payne
07-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I think the OP wants the GIF to stop on the last frame after one play. Most start and end on the first frame.

Or, am I misunderstanding the question, too?

Len Whistler
07-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I think the OP wants the GIF to stop on the last frame after one play. Most start and end on the first frame.

The GIMP generated GIF animation stops on the last frame after one play.

--

Major Payne
07-21-2012, 12:18 AM
The GIMP generated GIF animation stops on the last frame after one play.

--Then any good animation editor other than GIMP should be setting the animation the same way when set for one loop.

mcharalambous
07-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Have you thought of just setting the last frame to like, 999999 seconds? Haven't used an animator in a long time, but you could do that a few years back on old photoshop...

D-Eagle
07-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Try using the gif editor in photoscape: http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

Slushy
08-25-2012, 04:04 PM
This is very easy. If you are using photoshop, just under the timeline there should be a box with an available dropdown and the text says "forever". Click that and the dropdown box should open up and then just click "once", then it should only go through the animation one time.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum