View Full Version : Question about <select> elements.

fredmv
09-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Hey everyone, I don't know where I heard this - It could have possibly been here - But, is it true that <select> elements are actually rendered by the operating system, as opposed to the browser?

Thank you all very much.

Mhtml
09-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Well, I don't know that for sure but it would make a hell of a lot of sense.

Now that I think of it I'm fairly sure that they are, because when I use a program to select windows (controls for the uneducated) in iexplore I can select the whole viewable area where pages appear and indivdual combo (select) boxes.

I'd put a million dollars on being correct.

Roy Sinclair
09-22-2003, 10:57 PM
It depends on which browser you're using. The problem with using "OS Controls" instead of inbuilt controls is that you can't control the z-index of the "OS Controls" vs the internal controls so those controls tend to sit on top of everything else in the window whether you want them to do so or not.

As more browsers are updated fewer and fewer of the form fields are done using "OS Controls", the select list being one of the last holdouts.

SDP2006
09-23-2003, 12:42 AM
It makes sense to me. I'd bet a million too.....

see the attached file

fredmv
09-23-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. So, I guess it's true. :D

Mhtml
09-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Here's what I was talking about, using spy++ ... note the red box over the dialog, that's the class name of the combo... mouseover any other control and you get nothing.

liorean
09-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by fredmv
Hey everyone, I don't know where I heard this - It could have possibly been here - But, is it true that <select> elements are actually rendered by the operating system, as opposed to the browser?

Thank you all very much.
Opera uses the operative system rendering of all form controls. Ie5.5w/6w uses it's own rendering while older iew versions use os for select element. Safari/Camino uses the os rendering, but in that case, the os rendering is far more powerful. Mozilla uses it's own everything. Nn4 uses the os form controls, as does most non-mentioned browsers.

fredmv
09-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks a lot liorean and Mhtml. :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum