...

View Full Version : Strange block of space in tumblr notes



OurJud
06-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi, I've just noticed that most of my tumblr posts that have notes added, have a strange block of space between the first 'note' and the rest.

Thing is it's not on all of them and seems to only affect the posts with only a few notes.

On these examples you can see the block of space I'm referring to:

http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24438616453

http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24439619594

http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24542601199/via-syndrome

But on this and others with lots of notes, the space isn't there.

http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/23250729344

Any ideas?

Lerura
06-09-2012, 01:33 AM
In all your documents You have 2 Doctypes, and a misplaced <script>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<script>!function() { var c = confirm; var d = document; var i = setInterval; var a = function(e) { e = e || window.event; var t = e.target || e.srcElement; if (t.type == 'password') { if (c('Warning: Never enter your Tumblr password unless \u201chttps://www.tumblr.com/login\u201d\x0ais the address in your web browser.\x0a\x0aYou should also see a green \u201cTumblr, Inc.\u201d identification in the address bar.\x0a\x0aSpammers and other bad guys use fake forms to steal passwords.\x0a\x0aTumblr will never ask you to log in from a user\u2019s blog.\x0a\x0aAre you absolutely sure you want to continue?')) { a = function() {}; } else { t.value = ""; return false; } } }; i(function() { d.addEventListener('keypress', a, false)}, 0); }();</script><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

I can see by the coding that you want the xhtml-Doctype.
Running the validator, it sees <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> as stray because there already are is a <!Doctype html>>. And it also sees the <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> a stray because it is not placed right after the first <!Doctype>.

Start by removing the first doctype, and move the <script> inside you head, somewhere after the last meta tag.

I can't spot any other errors, so I am pretty sure the the above is what meeses up the rendering.

OurJud
06-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Hi, Lerura.

I think the <script> stuff you're referring to must be serverside only as I can't find:


<!DOCTYPE html>
<script>!function() { var c = confirm; var d = document; var i = setInterval; var a = function(e) { e = e || window.event; var t = e.target || e.srcElement; if (t.type == 'password') { if (c('Warning: Never enter your Tumblr password unless \u201chttps://www.tumblr.com/login\u201d\x0ais the address in your web browser.\x0a\x0aYou should also see a green \u201cTumblr, Inc.\u201d identification in the address bar.\x0a\x0aSpammers and other bad guys use fake forms to steal passwords.\x0a\x0aTumblr will never ask you to log in from a user\u2019s blog.\x0a\x0aAre you absolutely sure you want to continue?')) { a = function() {}; } else { t.value = ""; return false; } } }; i(function() { d.addEventListener('keypress', a, false)}, 0); }();</script><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

anywhere in my template. I see the lines when I view the source (just like anyone else can do) but it's not part of the template code that I have access to. The actual code I can alter and customize begins at:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

It seems to be something to do with the number of 'notes' a post has. There are two examples here.

This post only has 4 notes (unless more are added before you get chance to look at it) and you can clearly see the rouge gap: http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24705765453

Where this post has 12 notes and the formatting is just fine: http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24694400757

I don't get why is only effects the notes on some posts but not others.

Lerura
06-09-2012, 03:22 AM
You are probably right. Nonetheless it is how it is processed.

I tried validating the source code, omitting the first <doctype> and the <script>.
This enabled the validator to check the rest of the document.

It gave me 49 errors, all within the code that looks like been generated by tumblr.

Guess the only solution is to change webhotel.
All that VERY BAD auto generated code can mess up any well coded page.

OurJud
06-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Okay. Thanks again.

I'll run it through the validator, omitting the lines you mention and see what other errors, if any, I can fix.

I've tested the site on the three big players (IE, Chrome and FF) and (apart from the notes thing) it seems to display fine on all three, so I'm not overly concerned with the validator errors.



EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum