View Full Version : Example for a desktop app developed with HTML5

amit9876543
05-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Is there a way to create a desktop application using html5?
If so, what does it mean for the users, meaning how can they download, install and use this application?

Thanks...

VIPStephan
05-31-2012, 12:58 AM
I don’t think that’s what it’s made for. While you can program an application that can parse HTML (which effectively would be what a web browser is today) that application would still have to be programmed in some real programming language, you can’t create an application just with HTML alone. HTML means “hypertext markup language”, i. e. it is primarily designed to mark up text (i. e. give it a meaning). You cannot have any logical operations with HTML since it’s not a programming language, there would at least need to be JavaScript involved. Also, you can’t create an application chrome with HTML, HTML itself needs to run in an application (e. g. a web browser).

amit9876543
06-01-2012, 12:12 AM
I know that my application will have also a backend in C# or Java that will run the engine/logic.

So the html5 will be the interface, and it will be connected to a backend that will be the engine.

Saying that, do you (or anyone else) know an example of a desktop application/program that was developed with html5?
If so, can you refer me to it?

Thanks!

SeattleMicah
06-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Just think logicaly, what is HTML?

What you would be doing is creating your own browser (chrome, firefox, ie) that parses the html...windows or the mac os doesn't parse html on its own, so technically no there is no way to create a "desktop" application from html without having another application to read the html and display it.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum