View Full Version : PHP vs ASP

09-11-2003, 05:09 AM
What are the upsides and downsides of each? If I'm already proficient in VB and half decent at ASP is there any reason I should look at porint my ASP pages? I've always seemed to notice that there seem to be more PHP pages around, I figure there must be a reason.

09-11-2003, 05:46 AM
There have already been a few extensive discussions on this exact same topic. Here they are:

09-11-2003, 06:03 AM
Good threads, thanks.

09-12-2003, 11:10 PM
One that I didn't see mentioned:

Apache can be installed on WinXP HOME Addition, IIS & PWS cannot (well not without some serious kludge-hacks).

09-13-2003, 12:47 AM
I believe it's only xp pro that has those options. I noticed them on there anyway when I had it for 2 whole frustrating days

09-13-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Nightfire
I believe it's only xp pro that has those options.
:confused: From Win95 to Win XP you can run PWS and/or IIS. The only exception is XP Home

But that you can't install PWS or IIS on it is a strange reason to choose PHP.
I'd look at it the other way around : The simple fact that ASP only runs on IIS or PWS and not on Apache* is quite a good reason to choose PHP, even if you could run IIS on your machine.

Windows hosting will always be more expensive and will probably come with SQL Server as a db. (Which will make it even a bit more expensive)
Then there are a lott of PHP functions where you need a (commercial) component for in ASP...
I've used both ASP and PHP and i prefer PHP. It's so much easier to send mail, upload files, create and manipulate images, ftp, create PDF's, encode/encrypt, ... with PHP then with ASP.
Just my opinion.

*unless you by the commercial Chilisoft package or use Perl as a scripting language.

09-13-2003, 01:16 AM
Yeah sorry, I meant pws/iis :o