View Full Version : Windows 8 32bit vs 64bit

chartwise
04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know if 32 bit software will run OK on a 64 bit computer with Windows 8 - 64 bit?

Also which version (32 or 64 bit) is likely to be pre-installed on a new computer after W8 is released?

Help much appreciated

seoridds
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi,
Obviously it will run Ok.
Win7 32 bit software run perfectly on Win7 64 bit but not vise versa.

oracleguy
05-11-2012, 01:29 AM
You'll find the 64-bit version installed in most cases (the same applies to Windows 7). Really there are very few reasons why you would want to use the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version.

The 32-bit version is most notably going to limit the usable memory in your computer to 3 to 3.5GB even if you have more installed. This is a limitation of the 32-bit architecture.

64-bit Windows can run 32-bit applications just fine.

williamxaviers
06-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Its obvious that a 32-bit software will run and perform better in a 64-bit computer. Other than that its very compatible and works freely. There is no if and but case regarding this thing. However a 64-bit software can't work in any of the state in a 32-bit computer.

oracleguy
06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Its obvious that a 32-bit software will run and perform better in a 64-bit computer.
You are wrong. The performance will be the same, a 32-bit program isn't going to be able to suddenly take advantage of the added features in the 64-bit architecture. However since you can have more memory in the computer you can run a lot more 32-bit applications at once but beyond that there is no performance difference for 32-bit applications when running on a 64-bit OS.

Some 64-bit applications can run a lot better than their 32-bit versions such as graphics programs, crypto or any other math heavy programs. Or programs that can benefit from using a lot more memory.

Having 8+GB of RAM can be really nice these days given how cheap memory is. On my home computer I have 16GB of RAM and although I rarely use more than 30% of it, Windows uses the rest for the program cache so all the programs I use load pretty fast which is nice.

williamxaviers
06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
You are wrong. The performance will be the same, a 32-bit program isn't going to be able to suddenly take advantage of the added features in the 64-bit architecture. However since you can have more memory in the computer you can run a lot more 32-bit applications at once but beyond that there is no performance difference for 32-bit applications when running on a 64-bit OS.

Some 64-bit applications can run a lot better than their 32-bit versions such as graphics programs, crypto or any other math heavy programs. Or programs that can benefit from using a lot more memory.

Having 8+GB of RAM can be really nice these days given how cheap memory is. On my home computer I have 16GB of RAM and although I rarely use more than 30% of it, Windows uses the rest for the program cache so all the programs I use load pretty fast which is nice.

I must confess. Actually I didn't marked my own words, but in real I didn't meant that. I was also trying to say that obviously a 32 bit software can perform in a 64 bit OS and yes of course more 32 bit applications can run on the computer depending upon the memory.

bhadriram
04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
I suggest 32bit software run and compatible good on 64 bit computer

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum