PDA

View Full Version : help please to stop javascript slideshow

arjay
04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks to Old Pedant , in this forum, I am using this basic code for a slideshow he posted:

var slides = [
[ "abc.jpg", 3000 ],
[ "xyz.png", 5000 ],
[ "foo.gif", 1500 ]
];
var curSlide = 0;

function nextSlide( )
{
document.getElementById("thePicture").src = slides[curSlide][0].src;
setTimeout( nextSlide, slides[curSlide][1] );
curSlide = ( curSlide + 1 ) % slides.length;
}

function setUp( )
{
for ( var s = 0; s < slides.length; ++s )
{
var image = new Image();
image.src = slides[s];
slides[s] = image;
}
nextSlide( );
}

window.onload = setUp;

which works just fine. But I can't find a way for it to play one round of the slides then stop. Could someone please help me with the right bit of code to stop the show?

I know the code is a bit basic (no fades etc) but I have been unable to find a similar slideshow product that gives variable time delays for each slide. I've googled endlessly but nothing could i find....

TIA

Richard
=========

cryoffalcon
04-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks to Old Pedant , in this forum, I am using this basic code for a slideshow he posted:

var slides = [
[ "abc.jpg", 3000 ],
[ "xyz.png", 5000 ],
[ "foo.gif", 1500 ]
];
var curSlide = 0;

function nextSlide( )
{
document.getElementById("thePicture").src = slides[curSlide][0].src;
setTimeout( nextSlide, slides[curSlide][1] );
curSlide = ( curSlide + 1 ) % slides.length;
}

function setUp( )
{
for ( var s = 0; s < slides.length; ++s )
{
var image = new Image();
image.src = slides[s];
slides[s] = image;
}
nextSlide( );
}

window.onload = setUp;

which works just fine. But I can't find a way for it to play one round of the slides then stop. Could someone please help me with the right bit of code to stop the show?

I know the code is a bit basic (no fades etc) but I have been unable to find a similar slideshow product that gives variable time delays for each slide. I've googled endlessly but nothing could i find....

TIA

Richard
=========

Why do you want it to stop after completion of one cycle, what is your purpose of using it?

arjay
04-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Why do you want it to stop after completion of one cycle, what is your purpose of using it?

Thanks for responding. I am working up a website for a local animal charity here in Spain, and they want a slideshow of five slides each with captions that make up a poem.

Once the poem is done the idea is that it then stops - on the last frame. I think that's a good idea (it is distracting enough as it is IMO but the client is the client....)

Any ideas what I can add to the code to do this?

Ta

arjay
04-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Never mind - found a solution. Had to buy a commercial product. That's fine but I don't have a windows PC (only run Linux on my boxes) so had to set up a virtualbox with an old copy of XP just to be able to use it. Doesn't seem to be any linux equivalent...