View Full Version : which browser do you use?

barnettgs
09-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Just wanted to know if any of you are switching to Opera or Mozilla from IE?

I am thinking of switching over but is afraid of the way the pages are displayed in browsers.

Which is easier, fastest and better e-mail clients (inbuilt)?

ronaldb66
09-05-2003, 04:21 PM
@work: IE5.5 (have to... :( )
@home: Mozilla 1.something (gotta get me the 1.4 build soon!) + some version of IE for testing purposes. Oh, and Opera has to be around there somehere, too.
I'm going to stick to Mozilla for sure, though; it's mail client does what it needs for my purposes just fine.

barnettgs
09-05-2003, 04:35 PM
The reason for putting this polls up is that Microsoft seems to be negecting its IE browser and I don't know how long will we hang with good old IE.

Also I would like to hear your experience with any of these browsers mentioned above or other.

brothercake
09-05-2003, 04:59 PM
I could tell you some of latest experiences with IE, but they would all get starred out by the profanity filter :rolleyes:

kansel
09-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Moz 1.3 as default browser at work w/ IE6, Op7, NN4 all available. I just keep NN4 around to say "let's see how this blows up!"

At home, IE6 is still default cos I'm too lazy to change it. Moz 1.4 is what I use most of the time though.

I've been on Moz since 1.0. Except for an odd performance problem, I'm addicted to it. I like the idea of Firebird but I can't stand its preferences dialogs.

oracleguy
09-05-2003, 05:39 PM
I use Moz 1.4 at home and IE6 at work since it is the IT standard.

allida77
09-05-2003, 05:57 PM
I have been using an rssfeeder lately so really the only time I surf now is for email,fantasy football,or forums. As long as I can do all of the following in IE I will probaly never switch. I had tried moz but ended up going back to ie. In my brief experience almost all pages appeared fine in moz.

and of course at work I use IE 5.5-6

I would say IE is easier(just because thats what Im used too) and faster(on a POS machine), but I believe moz has a built in email client.

bradyj
09-05-2003, 06:04 PM
I'm on a Mac, so I tend to switch from Camino (Mozilla build) to Safari. My experiences with Mac IE have been horrid, and it ruins some excellent surfing time for what could have been a highly productive day:)

Caffeine
09-05-2003, 06:04 PM
I want to switch over to Mozilla completely, but IE is so darn fast it's always faster to startup compared to the other browsers.
At home I use IE mostly, sometimes Mozilla though, I don't want to support MS and it's non-standards way of thinking, but as I said above, IE is faster than Mozilla so...

@work I have pushed for Mozilla, but the pc-technicans have just rolled out IE 6 on all the machines, they were not so excited when I brought up the Mozilla-idea :)

However, when I create my webpages & webapplications, and IE encounter the well-known IE-'bugs', I always say so, so that the rest of the IT-department notice IE is not the best browser around. Hopefully, some day we and all other www-surfers will be using a standard-compliant browser, such as Mozilla for example :D

To make it short,
@home: IE 6
@work: Mozilla & IE 6 (add Opera, Firebird, NN 4, IE 5, IE 5.5 for development)

Spookster
09-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Not sure what your purpose is for the poll but the results will be skewed I think due to the fact that this is a web developers community and wouldn't represent what the average person uses. I personally use different browsers for different purposes. Mostly I use IE but occasionally use Opera because of some of the nice little quick preferences it has and Mozilla for some of the features it has.

oracleguy
09-05-2003, 06:11 PM
You know you can have Moz partly load and stay in the memory just like IE does. It is in the options dialog. With that on, it loads just as fast as IE.

Eskimo
09-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Moz/Firbird && IE6 @work
Moz/Firbird @home

The only reason I still have some sites that don't function in Moz, is my love of eventBubbling. They load in about the same time my box (!POS). Even if Moz took longer, I would have to stick with it. The fact is, using it enriches my surfing experience. The options/extensions (http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/) make it a must have for me.

oracleguy
09-05-2003, 06:21 PM
I just love the tabbed browsing support that is in Moz.

Eskimo
09-05-2003, 06:23 PM
That, and a user friendly options section. Hunting down settings in IE is a real neck breaker.

I now where they are, and I still have trouble somtimes.

MotherNatrsSon
09-05-2003, 06:40 PM
I am using Netscpae 7 mostly. Every once in awhile I use Mozilla. I wok at home so I don't have to give up my MAc or have some dumb IT person tell me IE 6 is the standard. What a load that is. You would think IT professionals would "know better"...LOL

IMHO which is based on Opera on OS 9 for MAC, it leaves alot to be desired. I removed it from my harddrive because everytime I started it up and shut it down it left files all over my hardrive that ere causing problems. They should keep all their stuff in their own folder and not indescrimanently place stuff where it shouldn't be.

MNS

Vladdy
09-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by phlegmatic
I want to switch over to Mozilla completely, but IE is so darn fast it's always faster to startup compared to the other browsers.

Get Firebird!!! It has the same Gecko engine in its core but comes without all the extras. If you need a mail client as well you get Thundrebird separetely. Also you can get alot of extensions for Firebird which are VERY useful for development.

In my experience on two computers 733kHz, win 98 and 1.6MHz Win2000 Pro Firebird loads as fast or faster than IE and its rendering speed is always higher.

brothercake
09-05-2003, 07:25 PM
My Firebird starts up quicker than IE; it renders significantly faster, and for me it almost never crashes, while IE crashes with monotonous regularity.

Caffeine
09-05-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by oracleguy
You know you can have Moz partly load and stay in the memory just like IE does. It is in the options dialog. With that on, it loads just as fast as IE.

Yes, I have that turned on at work, but if I have a few memory-consuming programs opened at the same time, and then decide to surf, IE opens much faster, 2-3 seconds faster sometimes!
I have noticed Mozilla gets slow to open if I have not used it for a while, even if the stay-in-memory-feature is turned on.

sage45
09-05-2003, 07:33 PM
This really isn't what I would consider an appropriate issue for this forum... Moving to technology discussion forum...

-sage-

liorean
09-05-2003, 07:34 PM
On my PC: Mozilla(1.5b) for browsing, Thunderbird for mailing. Will change to all-out Mozilla when the conversion to separate applications is finished.

On my mac: Either Safari, Camino or Firebird (neither more than the other) for browsing, Thunderbird for mailing. Thinking about going to Eudora, though, as Thunderbird is slow as the devil on my mac.

Then of course, you can add op5-7w, ie5.0,5.5,6.0w, ie5.2m to the testing platforms along with moz1.02,1.4.

Spookster
09-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by sage45
This really isn't what I would consider an appropriate issue for this forum... Moving to technology discussion forum...

-sage-

I agree it is definitely not a HTML/CSS forum discussion but maybe a webmaster issue which might be good in the General Web Discussion forum? :confused:

barnettgs
09-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Probably be...

At the moment, I'm looking at Opera as I heard it's the fastest and lightweight browser around, is it true?

hurricane
09-05-2003, 08:40 PM
For general browsing I've switched to Firebird 0.6.1 from Mozilla 1.4 as it's a little faster. I use Mozilla as my main testing browser because I get all the nifty developer add-ons for it (which are probably what's slowing it down). Opera and IE6 I use only for end stage testing purposes as they're both pants, in their own unique ways, as far as standards are concerned. I also test on a few earlier NS versions too.

mothra
09-05-2003, 09:25 PM
I have using Mozilla for a while now, there are still some quirks, but hey its a work in progress.

I figure if MS won't give us a product that is up to date with current standards and technology then why should I use it. I'd compare it to buying a car that can only turn left.

My .02

liorean
09-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Now if these numbers would refer to the general public rather than web designers and other computer savvy people, I'd be happy...

brothercake
09-05-2003, 10:06 PM
I got my mum using firebird now :) She's very happy with it, apart from its rendering problem with textareas.

barnettgs
09-08-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm bit surprised with current poll results:

Mozilla may has the highest percentage but it doesn't reflect the real world.

Two of my sites has at least 99% of internet explorer on visitors' browser share pie (IE 5.x 23% / IE6.x 76%) and 1% netscape if lucky!

I know most of my friends who are using my sites and I think I have the answer for it.

Windows Me, Windows XP etc comes with inbuilt internet explorer therefore it will be most likely be used first especially for people buying their computer for the first time and I'm sure most users doesn't bother to change to other browser or does not aware of browsers situations. I'm sure that its pointless to tell some of my friends to change their browsers when they use internet little or just happy with it.

With people buying pc with windows pre-installed in it, I can't see how they will change their broswers in near future unless they're webdeveloper or hardcore internet users!

bradyj
09-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by liorean
Thinking about going to Eudora, though, as Thunderbird is slow as the devil on my mac.

Just my two cents liorean, Eudora has been fantastic for me:thumbsup:

bradyj
09-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by barnettgs
At the moment, I'm looking at Opera as I heard it's the fastest and lightweight browser around, is it true?

Many people swear by it on PC... however, on Mac, it has some major rendering problems, and they rarely keep it current. I would not recommend it for Macintosh, other than the occassional testing.

For PC, I would still lean more towards Firebird, from what I've seen.

liorean
09-08-2003, 08:26 PM
I've timed them on pc. Startup times, op7.11<ie6w<firebird(fairly new nightly)<moz(1.5b), rendering times firebird<moz<iew<op, and general purpose scripting, iew<firebird<moz<op.

Op seems to have far faster png rendering than any of the others, however. (and that despite iew not supporting alpha transparencies and gamma correction.)

Caffeine
09-09-2003, 08:46 AM
I have firebird as well, but I think I'm not having enough RAM or something (on the computer@work), it takes about -1 sec for firebird to load, and I'm on a P4 !!

Offtopic: many of you say that browser xx render pages faster than browser yy, is there a way to measure that ?

liorean
09-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Do it simple. Set a javascript timestamp (var timestamp=new Date;) early on (a variable declaration in the head) a really large document containing all types of elements, and then onload compare that timestamp to the current time (new Date-timestamp). The number you get is the number of milliseconds the rendering took. Repeat ten times, and take the average. Then repeat in the other browsers. (There are better, more reliable ways, but not if you want cross-browser numbers.)

oracleguy
09-10-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by phlegmatic
and I'm on a P4 !!

That in itself doesn't matter. Program loading speed is greatly influenced on available ram (if it has to use the swap file, it is slower), the speed of your hard drive, and hard disk fragmentation. CPU speed does matter but so do all the other things I listed.

Caffeine
09-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by oracleguy
That in itself doesn't matter. Program loading speed is greatly influenced on available ram (if it has to use the swap file, it is slower), the speed of your hard drive, and hard disk fragmentation. CPU speed does matter but so do all the other things I listed.

True, I checked my RAM-usage and it was very little memory available [~7000-8000 kb], so I talked to the boss and am now on 512 MB instead of just 256. What a difference, Moz now loads just as fast as IE !!

:) :) :)

SDP2006
10-04-2003, 05:44 PM
I use both IE and Mozilla. I am slowly switching to using more Mozilla and less IE. I've just used IE so much, its like programmed into me to use it...

ionsurge
10-04-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm using Opera 7.20 and am pretty happy with it. I do prefer it to anything else, but I use all the major browsers when it comes to testing pages for cross-browser compatibility.

:)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum