PDA

View Full Version : Resolved PHP script to start download after specific time

Asela
04-21-2012, 02:57 AM
I am working on file hosting project like Hotfile. I have faced a very big problem that is I do not know how to start download after given specific time. I know how to do this with Java Script but my client do not accept that

please help me on this matter

Thank you in advance

tangoforce
04-21-2012, 03:05 AM
I do not know how to start download after given specific time.

Can you clarify this a bit?

Do you want the client to connect but not receive any file data until a certain time? (EG there is a connection but nothing is sent)

Do you want to initiate a download at a certain time? (Not possible - html is stateless so the client would need to keep re-trying)

Do you just want the link to the download to be available only at a certain time? (Easy but users can still use a direct link)

ShaneC
04-21-2012, 03:13 AM
So it sounds to me that you want to have a user visit a page and then, after a brief countdown, the file begins download. Is this correct?

If so the most practical method really is JavaScript. I would recommend having a chat with your client and informing them that to do a workaround would be less efficient, take more work, and be more costly.

Otherwise, there are some workarounds you can use.

PHP with IFRAMES: This would be a super hacked approach in my opinion. Have your normal download page. Then have an IFRAME on that page which uses PHP's sleep function:

sleep( 5 ); // Sleeps for 5 seconds

Then, after your page loads, the IFRAME will load your download page. The download page will take 5 seconds to load, and then show whatever content you desire.

Flash: Have a flash client execute the download. Flash can, using ActionScript, delay the download. Having said this, I really wouldn't recommend a download site that depends on Adobe Flash.

Again, JavaScript is the way to go. Barring that, the PHP option. Please let me know your thoughts, I can assist you with any of those implementations.

Asela
04-21-2012, 03:26 AM
thank you very much tangoforce and ShaneC. yes I need to have a user visit a page and then, after a brief countdown, the file begins download.

I think Sleep() will be useful in this case while displaying GIF which has count down.

I found my way by your instructions.
Best regards

ShaneC
04-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Glad we could help! I've marked your thread as Resolved. Please let us know if you encounter any more difficulty!