View Full Version : Whose opinion matters more

Sparktastic
04-20-2012, 04:58 PM
I as a web designer am having a small spat with a client (luckily is a family member). Basically we're arguing over the website background, the client says the current background I chose (full window photographic image) is absolutely atrocious and very distracting, and the client would like either a solid colour, or a gradient... Trouble is, the gradient colour is one which is very difficult to make fit, as the positioning of the monitor will make the colour vary dramatically... I am 95% sure that customers of my client, will prefer the design I chose, as opposed to the colour chosen by my client...

Help?!?!?!? - Any input from other designers / visitors?

Client's industry: Tour Operator
Dev URL: beta.surrealholidays.com (http://beta.surrealholidays.com)

tracknut
04-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm looking at it now, it's a white background and an image at the top of the page. Looks very clean to me. I don't see a full-page image as you describe.

Regarding who's right... I'd look at it like this. I (as a consumer) may hire all sorts of professionals to do work for me (a doctor, an architect, a plumber, whatever). I am paying for their expertise. But if I chose to ignore their knowledge, that's my prerogative - I'm the one paying for it after all.

Dave

Sparktastic
04-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Here is a side by side comparison...
http://bayimg.com/PAOJHAaDC

Suppose if client wants A, Client gets A...

Krentenbol
04-21-2012, 09:38 AM
What if you were the customer, if you ignore the expert's his advice that's your choice, and you pay for the way you want it happen. Otherways you can also look for another designer, which does listen to you.

Like someone already said, if client wants a, give him a.

KULP
04-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Unless it was something that would mess up the website's usability, I wouldn't push something that the client doesn't want.

VIPStephan
04-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Answering the question in the title of this thread isn’t quite that simple because people are different. There are clients who have a strong idea in mind and there are clients that have no idea at all. The designer has to adapt their approach according to this. If the client strongly insists in something you shouldn’t impose your opinion on them. If your arguments are stronger than theirs (and I mean arguments, not opinions) then I guess even they would realize it eventually but you have to make them clear why your proposal is better than their idea.

Now, if I was to comment on the design/problem in question, I would really say that a white background (or a solid color in geneal) is actually the better choice. In this case a photo as background is indeed distracting. You already have a big photo as main image and another photo in the background is really confusing. So, go with a flat color; in this case I even think plain white fits great.

ShaneC
04-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Solid colors are the new fashion. I personally greatly prefer a solid white background as opposed to an image. Especially since, on my monitor, the image scales and looks very low resolution.

Having said all that, the client gets what the client wants. Your client could ask for dancing baby gifs and MIDI music. All you can do is explain to them, based on your experience, why this may be detrimental to their website. If they choose to still go one way, that's the way you give them.

lonking
05-14-2012, 08:57 AM
You can explain them that what they want may not good to the website. You are the designer, and you know what's the best. Just tell me and convince them. We need to please our customers,but we needn't to follow them all the time.

dougcollins02
05-15-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm reminded of two things-- an old joke, and an old saying. First, the joke:

A man was sitting on the roof of his house after a massive flood. A deeply devout Christian, he put his faith in the Lord to provide for his rescue. After about an hour of sitting on his roof, a boat came by. When the crew told him to hop in, the man said, "No thank you, God will save me."

A few hours later, another boat came by. Again, the man denied their offer of rescue, saying "No thank you, God will save me."

Just before nightfall, a helicopter came to rescue the man. "No thank you!" shouted the man to the helicopter crew. "God will save me!"

During the night, the floodwaters rose even higher, and the man drowned while sleeping on his roof.

When he got to heaven, St. Peter arranged for the man's meeting with God.

"God," said the man, "I was ever faithful to you, and yet you did not save me from the waters. Why?"

The Lord chuckled and said, "I sent two boats and helicopter. What more do you want?"

----

The old saying: "You can't help someone who won't help themselves."

If you're a designer, you might know what's best. That said, the client is the one paying your salary. "The customer is always right."

MyAppsJustWork
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Client is right. Because they are the client. State your case, make a logical argument to them...but in the end, they are paying.

Client is right. The image background is too distracting.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum