View Full Version : moving a scanned signature to a transparent background

04-12-2012, 10:15 PM

I've attached my signature, which I attach to electronic documents, but i've noticed that a) it prints out pixelated and b) it's on a white background which isn't exactly white.

Is there a way in photoshop to extract the signature and put it on a transparent BG? Also, can it be made less pixelated when printing?

Thanks =)

04-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi there canadianjameson,

I have done a transparent .png and a .gif. ;)

I am unable to do anything about the quality though. :(

04-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks coot!

04-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi there canadianjameson,

you might get better quality image if you used a broader nib when
making your signature, there would then be more pixels to play with. :D

05-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Hey Cooter,

Thanks again for the signature - I will get around to signing with a broader nib and then I can try to get a higher-quality scan.

Would you know of a good tutorial for how to do what you did? I'd like to do it myself next time - i seem to need that a lot =) Case in point, the attached bullet. I've been trying to do it manually for 30 minutes an I know that there's an easier way. The problem is that it has a dropshadow that I wish to maintain but I don't seem to be able to do it =\

05-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Using multiply on a layer Is usually a quick fix solution - provided the background is a good white.

Duplicating the layer and applying overlay often increases the heaviness of the stroke. Best practice would be to do your signature large and scan it in a high resolution. If you do it properly you can often find that it could be live traced very well.

Major Payne
05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Neat little add-on for Firefox called WiseStamp (http://wisestamp.com/goodies/signature-examples/). Also, some free online Signature Makers you might like to experiment with:

I recommend making your signature using the vector format. If you do not have a graphics program that makes .svg files, Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/) is free. Recommend that you set DPI much higher in case you wish to re-size at some future time.

05-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions regarding my signature - I will definitely use them when I redo my signature.

Would anyone be able to help me with the bullet issue though? That image I can't re-draw as I didn't draw it in the first place - I just need it to be with a transparent bg instead of the white one it has now =(