View Full Version : Will Windows 7 still be available

chartwise
03-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know if Windows 7 will still be on sale after the launch of Windows 8?

If so how long is the previous OS usually on sale for after a new release.

Reason is that I will be taking over the running of computers that are currently running XP and I don't want to have to learn the Metro interface (I believe this is awkward without a touch-screen) and all the other things completely new before I can get to work.

I would rather stay with what I am familiar with.

This means I will want to install Windows 7

oracleguy
03-20-2012, 08:00 PM
For a while I'm sure. XP was available for quite a while after Vista came out (into 2009). And typically with the OEM licenses that come with new computers, if it comes with a W8 license you can downgrade it to Windows 7 legally. Just like you could from Vista to XP.

XP is going to be EOL'd in 2 years so I would get working on getting those computers upgraded to something newer.

JPRoss
03-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Shoot, I'm still on XP :)

I think you can count on Windows 7 being available for at least another year, and support / updates for years to come.

primefalcon
03-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Shoot, I'm still on XP :)

I think you can count on Windows 7 being available for at least another year, and support / updates for years to come.
Windows 7 will be available for quite a while, and most people will probally only leave XP when they have to... ie what they what/need to run what run under XP anymore, I think it's still the most popular windows version out

chartwise
03-26-2012, 11:20 AM
The main reason why I wish to know (me still using XP) is that Microsoft have flopped with nearly every other OS. Such as:

Windows 98 - good
Windows ME - rubbish
Windows XP - good
Windows Vista - rubbish
Windows 7 - good

WINDOWS 8 - RUBBISH???

I don't think much of the W8 Metro interface. A few people have said it is very awkward to use unless you have a touch screen.
Many PC & laptop users also want the start menu back on the desktop.

oracleguy
03-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Windows 7 will be available for quite a while, and most people will probally only leave XP when they have to... ie what they what/need to run what run under XP anymore, I think it's still the most popular windows version out
Nah, XP is down to 20-30% market share now. Windows 7 has overtaken it. See http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp and http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

Also if it helps, mainstream support (from Microsoft) for Windows 7 isn't scheduled to end until 2015 and extended support (which XP is currently in) isn't scheduled to end until 2020. So upgrading to Windows 7 is pretty safe. Plus it runs a lot better than XP on modern hardware, in particular on multi-core machines since they improved the processor scheduler a lot since XP.

james921
03-27-2012, 12:26 AM
thanks

alykins
03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
The main reason why I wish to know (me still using XP) is that Microsoft have flopped with nearly every other OS. Such as:

Windows 98 - good
Windows ME - rubbish
Windows XP - good
Windows Vista - rubbish
Windows 7 - good

WINDOWS 8 - RUBBISH???

I don't think much of the W8 Metro interface. A few people have said it is very awkward to use unless you have a touch screen.
Many PC & laptop users also want the start menu back on the desktop.

it's actually a good business tactic... every other release of windows is great- the "preliminary" is like a wide spread beta-test (post-beta-test)... Windows 7 for example is almost exactly the same (UI) as Vista, yet all the "kinks" are gone... * probably will be horrible, but that means that whatever is after 8 will probably be great (and a lot like 8)... the same pattern can be seen in other MS products. My guess is that 7 will follow the same support pattern as the other ones have and will probably be phased out after windows 9? has started to take foothold in much the same fashion as xp did.

skbj329
04-04-2012, 09:04 PM
I believe Windows are going to be readily available for quite a while, and borrowers will certainly probably simply depart XP when they begin to include for you to... ie which they what/should played which performed under XP anymore, I think it truly is nonetheless favorite computers version away

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum