View Full Version : What to learn next

Hein
03-09-2012, 08:34 AM
I have been learning and coding html/css for about 1 year now and would like to learn something more advanced.

What would you guys recommend javascript first or php?

Nightfire
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Depends on what you want to do really.

Learn javascript if you want to do animations, validations, etc etc on clientside, or php & mysql if you want to create members areas, newsletters, forums, shopping carts, etc.

Hein
03-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Both sounds interesting but I think php and mysql is more useful!

Nightfire
03-09-2012, 11:27 AM

They're both useful and you may find you'll be learning both at the same time, especially if you plan to use jquery or ajax

Hein
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Awesome thanx for the response will be hitting the books hard, I'm also considering a good programming language I know a bit of c++ but was maybe thinking python any ideas?

Nightfire
03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Couldn't advise you on that side of programming I'm afraid, I only know the basics of C++. I've not been interested in that side for years, so no idea what's the 'best' or most common language these days.

webdev1958
03-09-2012, 12:18 PM

It really depends on how involved you want to get in building different types of websites.

If you want to build just mainly static web pages with a few animations and flashing thingies on a page then html/css/javascript is about all you need.

If you want to build dynamic, database driven websites then you will need a server side language, sql and database skills.

Skills in graphic design and image editing can also be very useful for any type of website.

approachnet
03-12-2012, 12:56 AM
I have been learning and coding html/css for about 1 year now and would like to learn something more advanced.

What would you guys recommend javascript first or php?

JavaScript is fine, but you'll have more opportunities to make good money if you're well versed in PHP or .NET. Look around on project posting sites and job sites and you'll see good jobs for web developers with these focuses.

stephen_
03-14-2012, 11:50 PM
@approachnet is right, decide why your learning to code. I'm 2 years into HTML CSS and I'm also moving onto php/mysql and java. Eventually I want to build enough knowledge to move onto frameworks like jquery for java and codeigniter for php. For me this will allow quicker developing and quicker de-bugging if things go wrong.

Good luck!

teedoff
03-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Ok have to throw ColdFusion in the mix..lol CF programmers also usually get a premium versus other server side languages. Many government organizations develop in ColdFusion.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum