View Full Version : Capture user input into hidden tag

joashjohn
03-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Hi
I have a form with some input tags, and when the user submit the form I which if a new hidden tag get submitted with the value the user did tip.

I am thinking for doing that but not sure if it is the right thing :

<form method="POST"

<input type="text" name="{actionForm.Name}" id="username">
<input type="password" name="{actionForm.Passwd}" id="password">

<input type="hidden" name="usernameh" value="document.getElementById('username')">
<input type="hidden" name="passwordh" value="document.getElementById('password')">
</form>

Is it alright ? I mean when the user enter the username and password, the hidden tags should contain those two values that the user has made.

devnull69
03-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I don't understand why you want to do that. The first two fields already contain what the user typed and will already be submitted.

Besides, you cannot have a Javascript command as a value, so this won't work. You'd have to implement a piece of Javascript to copy the content of the first two fields onchange.

<input type="text" name="{actionForm.Name}" id="username" onchange="document.getElementsByName('usernameh')[0].value = this.value">
<input type="password" name="{actionForm.Passwd}" id="password" onchange="document.getElementsByName('passwordh')[0].value = this.value">

Philip M
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I have the idea that the OP thinks that "hidden" means somehow encrypted or secure.

joashjohn
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi, this work however I would like to be able to add many onchange events into the seem input, so this should work :

<input type="text" name="{actionForm.Name}" id="username" onchange="document.getElementsByName('usernameh1')[0].value = this.value; document.getElementsByName('usernameh2')[0].value = this.value">
<input type="password" name="{actionForm.Passwd}" id="password" onchange="document.getElementsByName('passwordh1')[0].value = this.value; document.getElementsByName('passwordh2')[0].value = this.value">

I just added the seem call of document.getElementsByName separated by a ; so it is wrong to have many onchange attributes into the seem input tag.

Philip M
03-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi, this work however I would like to be able to add many onchange events into the seem input, so this should work :

I just added the seem call of document.getElementsByName separated by a ; so it is wrong to have many onchange attributes into the seem input tag.

I think that there is a language problem here. What is "seem input tag" supposed to be?

name="{actionForm.Name}" is not valid syntax.

joashjohn
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I mean this code :

<input type="text" name="{actionForm.Name}" id="username" onchange="document.getElementsByName('usernameh1')[0].value = this.value; document.getElementsByName('usernameh2')[0].value = this.value">
<input type="password" name="{actionForm.Passwd}" id="password" onchange="document.getElementsByName('passwordh1')[0].value = this.value; document.getElementsByName('passwordh2')[0].value = this.value">

is good but this one isn't because onchange appear two times :

<input type="text" name="{actionForm.Name}" id="username" onchange="document.getElementsByName('usernameh1')[0].value = this.value" onchange="document.getElementsByName('usernameh2')[0].value = this.value">
<input type="password" name="{actionForm.Passwd}" id="password" onchange="document.getElementsByName('passwordh1')[0].value = this.value" onchange="document.getElementsByName('passwordh2')[0].value = this.value">

For the brackets {actionForm.Something} it is used just because i code in jsp that is all the story don't bother with it.

Philip M
03-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Yes, you cannot have onchange twice. But one onchange event can trigger multiple actions, separated by ;. The first code is correct.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum