View Full Version : Can I use URL tracking for images?

cineweekly.com
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
What's the proper term for adding something like ?ref=Blah to the end of your URLs for tracking and anyone have a link to more information and techniques?

My main question is, can I use tracking at the end of the src for an image or would there be problems? I'm allowing hotlinking for certain sites that want to use my images (from code I provide) but I want to track who's using what images.

clausrei
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi,

HTML and server side scripts like PHP and ASP.NET are using the URL to send parameters to other webpages. You can use the <form> tag to do this. HTML is using the URL if the method is set to GET ( It also can be set to POST but, the then it will be encrypted and not using the URL to send the parameter.)

Example:

<form name="input" action="html_form_action.asp" method="get">
Username: <input type="text" name="user" />
<input type="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

This will send the input field content in form of : ?user=What ever you typed in.

You can also add a parameter directly to an href in a link attribute URL to send it: This looks like this:

<a href='nextpage.php?del="true" >your text </a>

I hope this helped, because I didn't understand what you meant with tracking. In this way you can link to a complete selected content or, for instance a Google search result.

clausrei
02-20-2012, 12:30 PM

cineweekly.com
02-21-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm wanting to add ?ref=Sample to the ends of the images that I allow other sites to hotlink to so I can see who's using them and how many hits their site is getting.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum