View Full Version : Why Firefox is in hurry?

alishakcarter
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
In recent times i have seen Mozilla Firefox browser is throwing its updates daily. I sleep one night with a version 3.6.9 and next morning I saw Firefox 4 and within few days its version goes to 11 without any major updates why are they are giving so many updates.
When it comes to release a new version people expect something new in it but Firefox fails to do so. Look at internet explorer, every time they release a new version they must apply some major changes in it.
I think Mozilla Firefox just wanted to win the race in version numbers since internet explorer is currently on 9th version. Mozilla is at 11th release.
Woaah!!! Firefox wins the race but only in version numbers.

felgall
02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Firefox is making all those fast changes because they are losing the race. Chrome is going through version numbers much faster and as Chrome gets further ahead of Firefox with its version numbers the percentage of people using Chrome is overtaking the number of people using Firefox. So Firefox is hoping that by trying to almost keep up with the version numbers that they might still retain some of their users rather than everyone switching to a superior browser - Chrome.

Meanwhile the best browser - Opera - which was at version 10 when Firefox was at version 3 is now at version 11.6 (since they are not racing through version numbers the way the others are).

richjr
02-16-2012, 02:07 AM
I agree with felgall.

I have been a faithful firefox user for a long time. A few versions ago, I was forced to switch to Chrome because firefox was always crashing when I used shockwave or flash. Once they updated it, it corrected the issue.

If they want to keep up with the others, they need to improve, greatly.

primefalcon
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Thing w/chrome as well, it updates in background so your not really aware of it's rapidly advancing version numbers.

So in a sense ff switches to a rapid release model, and chrome is deprecating version numbers as far as having to update goes.

JudgementDay
02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Opera is defiantly a better browser, but its closed-source, which is why I continue to use Firefox.

I had the same thought this morning when I woke up and found yet another update to my Firefox.
I think this is because version 11 is brand new and there are lots of bugs in new features.

felgall
02-18-2012, 12:43 AM
I think this is because version 11 is brand new and there are lots of bugs in new features.

Firefox version 11 really ought to be called version 4.7 as they really haven't done anything major in the way of changes since version 4. It os only because Chrome is updating version numbers really quickly like that for every little change that Firefox started doing the same. Presumably it is part of their attempt to slow the rate at which Chrome is overtaking Firefox as the second most popular browser. Perhaps they'll give up on this by the end of the year when Chrome is the most popular browser with Firefox and IE fighting it out for second spot (in the same way they are currently competing for worst browser - with Firefox gradually winning that contest).

JudgementDay
02-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Its really pathetic on Firefox's behalf.

Firefox went **** when it hit 1.5 anyway (original developers left).

The scope has really changed. Firefox was originally about security and security only.

Your right about Firefox not changing much since 4.7 or what ever it was you said.

A new Firefox release use to be a big thing. Now it means jack ****.

... but you know, I actually take Firefox's lack of change for granted.
Change is frequently a bad thing in computer applications from my experience.

felgall
02-20-2012, 07:47 AM
You can probably expect FF 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 to be released later this month. Chrome is currently up to version 17 so FF has lots of catching up to do.

ChrishHardwick
03-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Hello friends,

You indeed have a strong point, having numerous versions in less amount of time is really great, but then what important most is how it effect the browser? For sure people would expect to that when a new version came it is faster, more exciting features, but then Firefox as you';ve said not all meet these requirements.

Regards:cool:
Chrish Hardwick

seema12
03-09-2012, 07:11 AM
I was using Firefox from a long time but that i switched to chrome due to these updatings. its toolbars get out-dated. FF is a not so much superior browser as compare to Google chrome.

felgall
03-09-2012, 08:09 AM
i switched to chrome due to these updatings.

What? Firefox wasn't updating versions fast enough for you so you switched to Chrome so as to get updates even more frequently?

pawpoint
03-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Just bear with Firefox and dont worry about their updates. Most of the plug-ins work fine and they are just trying to keep up with Chrome. We cant let Google over-take everything. My Android market has even been overpowered by them. I think they will end up in the same sort of legal trouble that Microsoft did soon.

jaysonkurt
01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Now I am on version 18.
Looks like they are racing with google chrome but I do not care specially that they are improving it. :)

AceInfinity
01-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Firefox has improved quite a bit, I could care less about chrome, but this "race" has promoted many improvements for Firefox, especially since IE with version 10 has also improved quite a bit, it makes the developers at Mozilla realize that procrastination and laziness is no longer acceptable :)

I'm a Firefox user because I use a lot of addons/plugins/extensions that simply just don't exist or are not as good with other browsers and their equivalents.

elitis
01-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Does Chrome really update in the background? Is this why I've never seen Chrome prompt me to update to the latest version? I wish all browsers did this, then browser fragmentation, at least in the sense of feature support, could be kept at a minimum.

And I don't know what it is but I just can't get behind any other browser besides Firefox. It sits atop Safari and Internet Explorer in HTML5 support (at least according to html5test.com), personally I find firebug better than Chromebug, and maybe its just me but Firefox seems faster at loading than Chrome. Can't wait for FF20, which should be out in March.

danijel99
01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
I like chrome more. It uses less space on screen and I work faster with it.

nagina111
01-30-2013, 09:15 AM
it is not just firefox but Chrome also does that. but since Chrome is a great competitor firefox wants to be a challenge

AceInfinity
02-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Chrome major version numbers are pretty meaningless these days. IE a bit less. IE started to really suck bad with v.8 and has gotten worse and worse with each subsequent release.http://flash.eviziotvreviews.com/5.jpg

Worse and worse for IE from version 8? How do you assume that, or support this statement you have? :confused: Have you not seen any benchmarks? Have you ever used IE 9 or IE 10 in comparison to 8?

prasadkunala
03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Firefox version 11 really ought to be called version 4.7 as they really haven't done anything major in the way of changes since version 4. It os only because Chrome is updating version numbers really quickly like that for every little change that Firefox started doing the same. Presumably it is part of their attempt to slow the rate at which Chrome is overtaking Firefox as the second most popular browser. Perhaps they'll give up on this by the end of the year when Chrome is the most popular browser with Firefox and IE fighting it out for second spot (in the same way they are currently competing for worst browser - with Firefox gradually winning that contest)

AceInfinity
03-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Firefox version 11 really ought to be called version 4.7 as they really haven't done anything major in the way of changes since version 4. It os only because Chrome is updating version numbers really quickly like that for every little change that Firefox started doing the same. Presumably it is part of their attempt to slow the rate at which Chrome is overtaking Firefox as the second most popular browser. Perhaps they'll give up on this by the end of the year when Chrome is the most popular browser with Firefox and IE fighting it out for second spot (in the same way they are currently competing for worst browser - with Firefox gradually winning that contest)

Why are you talking about Firefox 11 when 19.0.2 is the latest release on their Release channel? :confused:

Chrystyan
03-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Firefox would do themselves a huge favor if they were to solve their memory sink issue. If they were to adapt some of Chrome's technology to increase its speed while maintaining core fundamentals, they would probably get a good edge. Everyone will always have browser preference so it's not unlikely that a few people will stay but it's getting to the point where Firefox will be similar to IE without all of the issues. It's not hip, it's not up-to-date... it's not sleek enough or well broadcast...

Kind of hard to compete with Google's marketing as well.

I personally like FX, it's been faithful to me and I love my modifications. The tree style tabs, the look and feel, it's just what I'm used to I suppose.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum