View Full Version : Translating my website - dilemma..

tomystein
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
I am thinking about translating my site. Don't know which method will be the best for me - automatic or human translation..

If I'll use an automatic translator (a plugin or something), will it be indexed in Google with all these languages that it offers? Even without a user selecting the language from the translation menu (of the plugin) on the site..?
Or should I do a sub-domain with human translation because the plugin will not be indexed automatically..?
I am not speaking here about translation quality, just to know if it will be indexed with an automatic plugin or tool, because it will save me a lot of time, and there are some tools that translate quite good.

Thanks..

alykins
02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
are you just talking webpages as a whole? are you using a serverside language? you could (I think*) take in where there origin ip is (globally) -or figure out what lang they are using some other way- and then streamwrite your inner page and convert it on the fly before postback... default it to the common lang of where you will target
for example in C# I could hae it defaulted english and pick-off what lang you are using and then encode based on that-
encoding class ref/example (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.text.encoding.aspx)

granted you prob are not doing aspx but that is just an example of how to think about it

tracknut
02-15-2012, 07:27 PM
you could (I think*) take in where there origin ip is (globally) -or figure out what lang they are using some other way-

Browsers have a "preferred language" setting ($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE']) which allows the user control of this. Much better than "your IP is in Switzerland, so you must speak, uh, German".

Dave

alykins
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
I assumed there was a better way- I just have never had in my req to account for lang other than english

@OP I would take Dave's methodology of extracting preferred language and apply my ideology to whatever server-side language you are running.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum