View Full Version : I can't get converted video to work in HTML5...

mccdaddy
02-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi. I love the straight-forward, Flash-free coding for video in HTML5. I'm able to embed .mp4 onto my website but, strangely, if I convert an .avi or .3gp file to .mp4 (using Format Factory) it will not play with the video tag.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Arbitrator
02-11-2012, 06:43 AM
I'm able to embed .mp4 onto my website but, strangely, if I convert an .avi or .3gp file to .mp4 (using Format Factory) it will not play with the video tag.Which codec is used to encode your video? MP4 is just a container. If the container doesn't contain a format that your browser supports, nothing is going to play.

As far as I'm aware, the supported formats/containers are Theora (Ogg), H.264 (MP4), and VP8 (WebM).

mccdaddy
02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
That's what I was afraid of; I know nothing about codecs.

I went to wikipedia and did some reading on codecs but I still don't have a real clear grasp. I did download a Codec Identification Tool and analyzed the .mp4 that did play vs the converted one. The first one showed: "Codec- avc1, Name- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC" while the converted .mp4 was "Codec- mp4v, Name- MPEG-4 Video", so I see your point about the H.264 format.

Any idea if there is a way to convert .avi, .3gp, .wmv, etc. to the proper codec for use with the HTML5 video tag?

mccdaddy
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
I found a great little program, Freemake Video Converter, that does the job. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

mccd

Arbitrator
02-12-2012, 06:52 AM
If you're using H.264/MP4, I'd keep in mind that Chrome, Firefox, and Opera don't support that format natively; they support the Theora/Ogg and VP8/WebM formats. There's a support listing at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video#Table).

mccdaddy
02-13-2012, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, Arbitrator. It might be a bit trickier finding a converter for Ogg and WebM video codecs.

Perhaps I'll encourage my visitors to only use IE :(

mccd

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum