View Full Version : writing text over an image.

s024201
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Hello, I'm currently learning Html and Css. I'm getting on okay apart from the odd problem here and there. One problem i'm encountering right now. I have a section on my webpage which I've labelled options which is floated to the left. Within that section I also have floated from left to right 4 patterned boxes (imgs made in fireworks) with equal distance between them. I want to be able to put text within each of the boxes but cannot figure out how to do this. Could somebody please put me straight. Thankyou.

s024201
02-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Am I on the right path by proposing that I should set these images as background images?

ScottBaxter
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi S024201,

Yep your correct, set the images to the background-image of the corresponding divs.

You should then be able to add text to the div.

Thanks,

Scott

Keleth
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Another technique you could use, depending, would be to play with positionings: give the sections the relative position css, and then a span or div within them the absolute position. By making the inner tag's z-index higher, it'll float above.

Its admittedly a more complex technique, but can allow for some fun designs.

I have a link to a very nice simple site that explains positioning very well at home. If you want it, I can try to find it once I get out of work.

s024201
02-07-2012, 09:59 PM
yes keith that would be great thankyou.

Kevin_M_Schafer
02-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi s024201 and all,

Just thought I'd jump in with a link to something I threw together a couple of weeks ago. It's an image with text on top of it. Maybe it will give you an idea or two. :)

http://www.theeagleextra.com/testfiles/vertically-center-text-over-image/vertical_center.html

--Kevin

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum