View Full Version : Is Flash considered accessible?

MotherNatrsSon
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I see many sites done in Flash. There are several site builder applications out there. WIX on facebook gets alot of use. I am just curious because I am doing a site for a cooperative and some are pushing for a Flash site becaue of how it looks. I say as a .org they need to be compliant and 100% accessible....

dylanbaumannn
02-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately flash websites are very very very very unaccessible.

They might have a nice 'look & feel' however, screen-readers have a difficult time navigating these websites most of the time, so anyone who is visually impaired is going to have a lot of difficulty trying to get content from the web page.

If they are looking for something 'shiny' or 'flash-y' I would suggest HTML5. It is replacing the current flash websites by utilizing the new motion attributes that it has, while still maintaining compatibility with screen-readers and being 508 compliant.

Do a quick google search for HTML5 websites and show your client :D
Good luck!

felgall
02-03-2012, 07:23 PM
All accessible Flash sites are accessible because they have an HTML version of the site for the majority of people who do not view flash.

There are no accurate stats on just how big a percentage of people don't view flash because there's no way to count the number of people who don't override their flash blocker in order to view specific flash.

Apostropartheid
02-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I see many sites done in Flash. There are several site builder applications out there. WIX on facebook gets alot of use. I am just curious because I am doing a site for a cooperative and some are pushing for a Flash site becaue of how it looks. I say as a .org they need to be compliant and 100% accessible....

It is very inaccessible. You will have to create a second, HTML site with identical functionality--in which case you will have double the work with very little gain

MotherNatrsSon
02-03-2012, 11:10 PM
It is very inaccessible. You will have to create a second, HTML site with identical functionality--in which case you will have double the work with very little gain

Thanks. I thought that was the case. Now to convince them to let me do an accessible site...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum