View Full Version : How can I manage my website efficiently?

musicgold
02-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Hi,

I am a newbie in terms of website design and management. Last summer I created my personal website using a friend's help. I got a domain name from godaddy.com and I am hosting the site on freehostia.com.

However, managing the site is a big problem. First edit my webpages on my computer then upload them on Freehostia. Freehostia's server is very tricky in terms of syntax and page names.

Is there an easy way to manage a website? Ideally I would like to be able to update my website on a daily basis.

Thank you.

VIPStephan
02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Firstly, get a decent webspace. I don’t know Freehostia but I guess these free hosting providers all have a catch somewhere. Then, a CMS is probably easing a lot of things. Refer to my post on the other thread (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?p=1188609#post1188609) I made just last night. I don’t know if you can even run a CMS on Freehostia.

dylanbaumannn
02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
one of the better hosting companies that I've run across is BlueHost.com, they offer a pretty affordable price and updating/managing your website is actually very simple.

All you need is an FTP client (cyberduck for example) and you just connect to your website and you simply place your website into the main folder they have set aside for you. Updating is as simple as drag and dropping your files into the web folder :D

Jennifert
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
one of the better hosting companies that I've run across is BlueHost.com, they offer a pretty affordable price and updating/managing your website is actually very simple.

All you need is an FTP client (cyberduck for example) and you just connect to your website and you simply place your website into the main folder they have set aside for you. Updating is as simple as drag and dropping your files into the web folder

I too agree, recently I have hosted one of my website on BlueHost.com and I personally think you should also try it out.

musicgold
02-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks folks. Cyberduck is what I was looking for. Thank you.

mlseim
02-08-2012, 09:51 PM
What do you have to update?
Is is something that can be placed into a simple text file or database?

xela007
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Wordpress is probably the easiest to use script for newbies.

musicgold
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks folks.

What do you have to update?
Just some text and pictures.

Also, right now I am using Notepad to write the html code, which is kind of cumbersome. Is there a friendlier editor, which will let me focus on contents without having to worry about the html syntax?

I am not sure if Wordpress is a solution to this problem?

myfayt
02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Having a good hosting company is important, also make sure you get one with a Cpanel. That is very very useful.

Many people don't believe in paying $3 - $5 a month when free is available, but you get what you pay for. I pay $7 a month for mine, it's fast, nearly a private server, newest version of PHP, best tech support ever, excellent server up time, unlimited space and bandwidth (even tho that doesn't exist) at least im not limited, and so on.

Free hosts are unprofessional, slow, unreliable, and usually don't offer any tech support at all.

Out of 5 hosting companies I've tried, Hostmonster.com is the very best yet.

VIPStephan
02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Also, right now I am using Notepad to write the html code, which is kind of cumbersome. Is there a friendlier editor, which will let me focus on contents without having to worry about the html syntax?

I am not sure if Wordpress is a solution to this problem?

As I said in post #2.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum