View Full Version : [QUESTION] How would I do this?

Hathor
01-31-2012, 03:58 AM
Okay, so here is what I am trying to do. I want to have a dynamic image. In this image, I want there to be information retrieved from the website.

For example, I would have an image that retrieves the post count on this forum. How would I do something like that?

Where I have an image, and on it, there is an allocated section that displays information that will change. I want this change to be automatic, so I don't have to manually update the image every time something like my post count changes?

Any ideas?

Dormilich
01-31-2012, 08:24 AM
you would need an image processing library (e.g. GD, imagick) to create the image on-the-fly.

Hathor
01-31-2012, 06:30 PM
you would need an image processing library (e.g. GD, imagick) to create the image on-the-fly.

And this would allow me to embed code in the image?

Also, what language would I need to write this in?

Dormilich
01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
And this would allow me to embed code in the image?
I wouldn’t call it code, rather text.

Also, what language would I need to write this in?
any language you know and which supports one of such image processing libraries.

Hathor
01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
I wouldn’t call it code, rather text.

any language you know and which supports one of such image processing libraries.

Well, I mean how would I go through the whole process. As in, first, how would I take the code that I wrote to find that information, and then put it on the image in a specific region. This code would take that information automatically, even if it changes, and still include it on the image. So, for example, my post count just changed. Suppose I wanted an image that has my post count. It would automatically change the TEXT on the image to adjust to my new post count. THIS is what I'd like to know.

This is like making a dynamic banner, which automatically adjusts to changed data. And how would I write such code that would find that data?

I'd think PHP would be appropriate for this...

Alex Vincent
01-31-2012, 08:32 PM
You're probably right; I don't see any XML code involved here at all.

Moving to the PHP forum, per your request.

Hathor
01-31-2012, 08:36 PM
You're probably right; I don't see any XML code involved here at all.

Moving to the PHP forum, per your request.

Thank you, I feel weird now that I posted that in the XML section. At the time, I wasn't sure what to code this in...

I'm still not 100% positive yet, but I'll try... Now, about my questions above, do you have any idea? :D

Inigoesdr
02-01-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm still not 100% positive yet, but I'll try... Now, about my questions above, do you have any idea? :D
Yep:

Read up on GD (http://php.net/gd); specifically the examples section.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum