View Full Version : Getting started with java

greeninho
01-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi pals, I want to start learning java n c++ programming language but I need your help and advice on what to do. I have downloaded their runtime environments, instald it but can't run it. Pls anybody knowledgeable about this should please help me. In addition, the person should also tell me how to start programming with this runtime environment, what I mean, u know u start html n css with notepad or txt editor, so is the same applicable in java?

Fou-Lu
01-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Java needs the use of the JDK, not the JRE in order to write it. You need javac in order to compile which is not a part of the JRE. Go to the oracle website, and from the downloads choose the JDK for your platform and architecture.
Java can use notepad or any text editor since it needs to be compiled using javac. Using it by notepad means you need to learn how to use javac on a cli, which often confuses now developers, but is good to learn. IDE's like eclipse, doctor java and JBlue have compile options within them so you just click a button and run.

greeninho
01-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Many thanks to you Fou-lu for answering my question. Now I knw is JDK n not JRE, what of c++? how do u start to program with it? And the functions and differences between JDK and JRE, many thanks again.

Fou-Lu
01-29-2012, 01:30 AM
There is no function difference between the same versions of the JDK and the JRE since they don't really perform the same task. JRE is still required to execute a .class file in java, while javac compiles the .java to the .class.
I don't do C++ programming, but with what little I have done in C++ I think it uses make like C does (I let the IDE do the work since I just used visual studio for it). Unlike JRE, C++ has to be effectively written for the platform for it to run on. Pro is that C++ is far more powerful than Java since it runs via machine code instead of bytecode, con is that it takes more work to make cross platform compatible programs in C++.

kyr0
02-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Many thanks to you Fou-lu for answering my question. Now I knw is JDK n not JRE, what of c++? how do u start to program with it? And the functions and differences between JDK and JRE, many thanks again.

Hi,

I just came across this article on the web today. I have not looked at it thorougly. But it looks like it will help you on your way with Java atleast.

IBM DeveloperWorks "Become a Java developer" (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/training/kp/j-kp-intro/index.html)

Also, the Oracle tutorial on the website is quite good as well.
Oracle (http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html)

As far as C++ I cannot help you there, sorry.

-kyr0

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum