View Full Version : Retrieving Old Hard Drive Data Help

Iron Man
01-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Hey everyone, ok here's the deal, I recently bought a new computer because my old one of 8 years finally gave in, may the Motherboard RIP...anyway, this happened suddenly and it didn't give me a chance to save important files and such from the old Hard Drive (I usually make backups but some newer files are still in the old HD). My question now, is there a way to retrieve folders/files from the old HD into the new HD? I'm asking around for some help with this before I take it to a tech shop and spend money to have it done for me. My only guess would be to just plug in the old HD into the new computer and just use it as a separate drive. Then just copy folders/files from the old HD into the new HD 'C'. Once finished, I can either keep using the old HD or just dispose of it. Would that work? If not, can someone please provide some tips on how this can be achieved? Thanks in advance. :cool:

BluePanther
01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
That would work, providing the new computer's has IDE capability (I'm guessing it's an IDE drive, not a SATA one).

I would use it as an external drive afterwards (you can buy casing online), if it was me :) - especially if you make regular backups.

Iron Man
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for your help/reply BluePanther, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

BluePanther
01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
:thumbsup:

JackieBolinsky
01-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi there, My recommendation is why you should pay for something you can do. First open the CPU Case then check out for IDE port on your mainboard, it looks like the attached pic. If it exist, your goodness you can attach your old HD with its IDE cable and power cable. If it doesnt exist, you have to go for external casing. Check it out and tell us to help you further.

Good luck.
Jackie.

BluePanther
01-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi there, My recommendation is why you should pay for something you can do. First open the CPU Case then check out for IDE port on your mainboard, it looks like the attached pic. If it exist, your goodness you can attach your old HD with its IDE cable and power cable. If it doesnt exist, you have to go for external casing. Check it out and tell us to help you further.

Good luck.
Jackie.

Don't go anywhere near the CPU. He means the case for the computer.

3wogle
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Hey everyone, ok here's the deal, I recently bought a new computer because my old one of 8 years finally gave in, may the Motherboard RIP...anyway, this happened suddenly and it didn't give me a chance to save important files and such from the old Hard Drive (I usually make backups but some newer files are still in the old HD). My question now, is there a way to retrieve folders/files from the old HD into the new HD? I'm asking around for some help with this before I take it to a tech shop and spend money to have it done for me. My only guess would be to just plug in the old HD into the new computer and just use it as a separate drive. Then just copy folders/files from the old HD into the new HD 'C'. Once finished, I can either keep using the old HD or just dispose of it. Would that work? If not, can someone please provide some tips on how this can be achieved? Thanks in advance. :cool:
there are many ways to do this. If you have an IDE or SATA type HDD then plug it with an external case(converter) which connects it like USB. Copy your data and folders in your current one..

The second way is to place this old one in your system, reinstall windows if you don't two drives.
Third, you can also use it as an internal drive as there are slots available within system to place a second hard drive..

Hope it works.. :)

JudgementDay
02-09-2012, 06:14 AM
My recommendation is to unscrew the drive with a Phillips head screw driver, get a magnify glass and start noting down whats on your drive on paper, then, sign up to eBay and but an optical character recognition device and have it read your notes to transfer the data to your new PC.

Cremator
02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
If your machine died and the drive is OK, you only need an IDE to SATA converter. I bought on for 20.

If the HDD is stuffed, you would need another machine and HDD Regenerator to recover the drive on a couple of provisions, namely that the fault is not physical or a controller problem, HDD Regenerator has recovered 5 out of 7 drives I have thrown at it.

You could just as easily buy an enclosure for an IDE to USB and turn the drive in to an external storage device.

richjr
02-15-2012, 02:24 AM
If your machine died and the drive is OK, you only need an IDE to SATA converter.

I have done this. I had an old hard drive and I needed to get the files off it, so I was force to get a converter. I only used it to get the files off, so I don't know how well it would work long term.

Cremator
02-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I have done this. I had an old hard drive and I needed to get the files off it, so I was force to get a converter. I only used it to get the files off, so I don't know how well it would work long term.
Just like any other cable.

The converters are no different to an enclosure, which can be the cheaper option.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum