View Full Version : Wiring Question

RomanTaylor
01-19-2012, 07:10 AM
I always wondered if I can split one positive wire into multiple safely?

This is my crappy diagram to make things more clear:

http://i024.radikal.ru/1201/46/9a63d7e47ea8.jpg

Maybe I have to fuse each accessory wire with separate fuse?

Maybe I have to only fuse main 12V wire?

Or Maybe I have to fuse all 4 wires?

Thanks.

oracleguy
01-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Yes you can and the sum total of all the current of the different accessories can't be higher than the fuse otherwise it will blow. You can still put sub fuses for each accessory. It really depends what you are doing.

Fuses protect the wiring from being overloaded, if you run too much current through a given gauge wire it is going to melt or potentially catch fire.

RomanTaylor
01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
It's going into a car. I am hard wiring few things like radar detector and multiple cig lighter sockets. I was just trying to see if my idea to run one fat wire from the battery into the cabin and then run multiple smaller wires of that can create major fire hazard.

I might just use think amplifier wire with big inline fuse and possibly even fuse each accessory. I'll just have to test amp load from each accessory and pick the right fuse.

oracleguy
01-19-2012, 05:22 PM
I'll just have to test amp load from each accessory and pick the right fuse.

And pick the right size wire. No sense putting in a 10A fuse if the wire its protecting is only rated to 8A. (As an example.)

But yeah you can certainly do what you are wanting. If you look around you can find small automotive fuse boxes that are designed for what you are doing. They take in the one heavier wire from the battery and split it off into multiple terminals and have the fuse holders.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum