View Full Version : phpMyAdmin - HUGE import

dnnhater
01-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Hi gang

I have a db that I'm trying to get imported into phpmyadmin. The site is hosted on godaddy so there is a limitation of 1024k for importing - yeah not really going to work with a 14 meg db

I have the complete .sql file and what I would like to know is what is going to be the easiest way to get this data back into the db?

any help is greatly appreciated :)

guelphdad
01-17-2012, 04:47 AM
do you have FTP access to the host? If so FTP the file in place.
then in phpmyadmin choose the SQL tab. You can write any type of query there.

So type in:
SOURCE /pathtoyourfile/yourfilename

and then click GO.

Unless they have some kind of restriction in place it should run your file.

dnnhater
01-18-2012, 03:42 AM
thanks for that guelphdad...

I've tried several combinations and each time received
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'f3m2012.sql' at line 1

unless I'm doing it wrong? I used http://www.domain.com/directory/file.sql - with and without http

been a very long week and this is only Tuesday so bear with me if I'm being dumb :o

guelphdad
01-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Okay you've FTPd your document to your computer and it is in a directory that mysql has access too?

you just want:

SOURCE /directory/file.sql

and you'd want that from the SQL tab itself.

is your file an actual mysqldump or is it just tab separated data? if the latter you'd want to do the import differently of course but it sounds like a dump of the create table statements and acutal INSERTS that a mysqldump would create.

dnnhater
01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Okay you've FTPd your document to your computer and it is in a directory that mysql has access too?

I don't know how to answer that question (wow now I really do feel dumb) - I do know that if I want to use a php connect function I wouldn't use localhost for the db host - godaddy has xx.hostedresource.com for the db host - is that what you mean?

it's a dump with all the create/insert stuff - that I DO know ;)

felgall
01-18-2012, 09:06 AM
it's a dump with all the create/insert stuff - that I DO know ;)

How was the file created? If you are getting a syntax error then there is something in the file that isn't being recognised properly as an SQL statement.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum