View Full Version : Help with PHP form

Red_Rain
01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey guys,
New to the forum, new to PHP and could really use som help. All i really understand are the basics (as you will see from my code lol) but i am the dive in and do it person or else i wont learn :/. I think that my syntax is written correctly but i am to new to this language and programming in general to have a valid opinion. I do not know how to use AJAX yet so i basically having people fill out a form to get to one of two other forms. Does that make sense? Here is my code and i am open to any and all wisdom and knowledge this community can give. Thanks in advance everyone!

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<?php if($_POST['in_or_out'] == "inside" ) { $inside = $_POST['in_or_out']; } elseif($_POST['in_or_out'] == "outside" ) {$outside = $_POST['in_or_out']; }?>
</head>

<body>
<h4> Please answer the following questions to receive a hardware recommendation or Fill out the contact us form for more complex questions</h4>
<?php if(!isset($_POST['form'])) { ?>
<form action="<?php echo htmlentities($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) ?>" method="post" name="form">
<p>Indoor or Outdoor application: <select name='in_or_out'><option value=''>Select one</option><option name="inside" value="inside">Inside</option><option name="outside" value="outside">Outside</option>
</select>
</p>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">
</form>
<?php } if(isset($_POST['form'])) { ?>
<form action="<?php echo htmlentities($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) ?>" method="post" name="form">
<p>Indoor or Outdoor application: <select name='in_or_out'><option value=''>Select one</option><option name="inside" <?php if(isset($inside)){echo "selected"; }?> value="inside">Inside</option><option name="outside" <?php if(isset($outside)) {echo "selected" ; } ?> value="outside">Outside</option>
</select>
</p>
<?php if(isset($outside)) { ?>
<select name="application" >
<option value="opt1">option1</option>
<option value="opt2">option2</option>
<option value="opt3">option3</option>
</select>
<?php } elseif(isset($inside)) { ?>
<select name="application" >
<option value="opt1">option1</option>
<option value="opt2">option2</option>
</select>
<?php } ?>

<br />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

<?php } ?>
</body>
</html>

mlseim
01-08-2012, 12:10 AM
So what is your question or problem?

Red_Rain
01-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks for your reply! Well the code as it was didnt work. When i remove the first form it works fine. I figured out how to make to work but i guess the question would be why didnt my
<?php if(isset($_POST['form'])) { ?> syntax work? Because theoritically, if my first form shows up only when if(!isset then my second form should show when if(isset... right?

mlseim
01-08-2012, 12:33 AM
You made both forms named "form" ... how does it know which one?
It's "set" no matter which one is clicked.

Better yet ...
Create a different hidden value for each and check that instead.

<input type="hidden" name="action" value="inside">

The other form is ....

<input type="hidden" name="action" value="outside">

later one ...

if($_POST['action'] == "inside"){
// do the inside stuff
}

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum