View Full Version : The Tired Prime Number Program, but different.

bohling
01-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Hi,

I have figured out the old tired prime number program that a lot of newbies like myself attempt to tackle when we hit the ground running with c++. What I am interested in is expanding it to something that not only displays the primes of a number, but the number of primes. To wit:

Please enter a number: 10

There are 4 primes in 10. Those primes are:

7 5 3 2

Do you wish to continue (y/n)?

I have all of that down except for the "there are x primes". I have tried count and if/else/do but I am getting hopelessly confused. Is there a simple or other way to do it?

Here is my code so far...

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
int x; // input
int y; // divisor
int z; // prime

char key; // to continue or not

cout << "This program will allow you to enter a number and will display all and how many prime numbers from that number to 0." << endl << endl;

do
{
cout << "Please enter a number: ";
cin >> x;

cout << endl;
// cout << "There are " << counter << " primes in that range." << endl;
cout << "All primes in this range are:" << endl << endl;

for (z=x; z>=2; z--)
{
bool primeNo = false;

for (y=2; y<z; y++)
{

if (z % y == 0)
{
primeNo = true;
}
}
if (primeNo == false)
{

cout << z << " ";

}
}

cout << endl << endl;
cout << "Continue (y/n)? ";
cin >> key;
}

while (key == 'y'||key == 'Y');
cout << endl << endl;

system("PAUSE");

return 0;

}

Spookster
01-01-2012, 12:27 PM
That is easy to do. Just create a variable to keep track of the number of primes. Each time you determine a prime, increment the number.

arih7nt
01-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Well I'm not so used to C++ but only C. I can't help with the syntax but maybe a little bit with the logic.

1. Try using an array to store all the primes ?
Well as a number is found to be a prime it is stored in an array and later when all the primes have been found the loop terminates and you print the array. And for the count maybe a variable who's count increases as you find each prime ?

2.Printing each Prime as it is found and having a variable increment along, finally as the loop ends. Printing the Increment to give the total number of primes.

I haven't tried either of the concepts on C, I'll give it a try and incase it works, I'll bring it up here.

Let me know if any of it works for you.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum