View Full Version : About completely uninstalling a program

lashley
12-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi,

I read that to really uninstall a program you have to go to regedit and remove entries, go to program data folder under your username, etc...

Basically the Add/Remove doesn't do the entire job.

So is there a software that does these procedures automatically? For instance Revo Uninstaller will it remove registry entries, etc?

Thanks,
Karl

primefalcon
12-29-2011, 01:27 PM
The registry are just text files with with setting stored as plain text (which i all the registry is), so is the risk of possibly screwing up your system worth saving 1 or 2 bytes.... because frankly that's all you'd be saving.

lashley
12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
The registry are just text files with with setting stored as plain text (which i all the registry is), so is the risk of possibly screwing up your system worth saving 1 or 2 bytes.... because frankly that's all you'd be saving.

So basically I don't need to buy a software like revo uninstaller to uninstall programs. The add/remove should be just fine right?

Thanks,
Karl

primefalcon
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
So basically I don't need to buy a software like revo uninstaller to uninstall programs. The add/remove should be just fine right?

Thanks,
Karl
right, in the windows world you'll find a lot of programs that will push themselves as *needed* and usually even if it does fill a desired gap, there are tons of other programs that will do it for free....

For example there are a ton of programs that are very expensive that push themselves at defragmentors... in most cases the windows one is just fine, and even if you do want something higher maybe scripting defrags and having a right click file defrag option, there are a lot of programs like Ultradefrag that will do it for free....

You just have to look around and not get taken in by the marketing hype, also a lot of new users will get it and because they believe it should be performing better they think it is.... which is the reason there are lot of registry cleaner programs out there even though they really serve no real beneficial purpose.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-30-2011, 05:16 PM
The free version of Revo Uninstaller works fine for most things.

lashley
12-30-2011, 07:14 PM
ok ever heard of Tuneup Utilities, it promises it will speed up your computer.

How good is that to speed up PC?

For cleanup purposes I don't need it, since I have ccleaner free which I think is great, plus windows disk defragment, etc.

Karl

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-30-2011, 07:53 PM
I haven't heard of it but chances are it is really similar to ccleaner. Check out soluto if you want to speed things up. You can delay startup items, disable items, get solutions to problems that it finds.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum