View Full Version : Class Loading: How to do it with Singletons?

12-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Simply put, I want to dynamically load singletons.

i.e. Say I have:

public class Singleton {
private static Singleton instance;
private Singleton() {}
public static Singleton getInstance() {
if(instance == null) { instance = new Singleton(); }
return instance;

From what I have learned, you would do something like this if it wasn't a singleton:

But I don't this will be allowed. Would I need another layer of indirection? For example, do I need to do:

public class SingletonLoader {
public Singleton getInstance() { return Singleton.getInstance(); }

and from there invoke the getInstance method? Or is there a more direct solution?

12-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Singleton is designed for the instance of that class. I think that the call against a .newInstance off the class loader would chain to the constructor, so a private or protected constructor will throw an exception.
To load, its a simple call to Singleton.getInstance();. There is really no way to do this dynamically since you cannot stop an class with a public constructor from instantiating a new record. Any class to be a singleton has to be an instance of a Singleton first. You can call it against a dynamically loaded class though, that's just a simple try/catch and attempt to invoke the Method of getInstance on the class or cast to a Singleton type.

So if I got what you are looking for, your dynamically loaded classes implement singleton. You can load them as so:

Method getInstance = class.getClassLoader().loadClass("MyClass").getMethod("getInstance");
Object instance = getInstance.invoke();
catch (Exception ex)

Methinks that will work.

12-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Well, after digging around I found out I was supposed to do something like:

Class<?> c = Class.forName("MySingleton");
Method m = c.getDeclaredMethod("getInstance", new Class[0]);
Object obj = m.invoke(null, new Object[0]);

But I'm getting the following exception:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: MySingleton.getInstance()
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethod(Class.java:1954)
at myProg.main(myProg.java:21)

Really strange because that class does in fact have a getInstance() method... as such:

* Gets single instance of the site
* @return the site
public static MySingleton getInstance() {
if(instance == null) {
instance = new MySingleton();

return instance;

Note: I replaced the real singleton class name with "MySingleton".

Woops my bad, it seems that I was editing the wrong "MySingleton" file. It works. Thanks.

12-25-2011, 04:12 PM
I am interested in why you want to do this at all?

12-25-2011, 06:20 PM
The project I am currently working on makes use of the ability to dynamically load classes. Why? I want to allow other developers to develop their own subsystem based on a set of interfaces I already have, and allow users to benefit from it.

I can technically make things very simple for myself and complicated for others, but I do not believe that is the way to go. And though it may sound hypocritical to say this, I would like to uphold certain invariant so that there is design. These invariant might cause the developer to do a LITTLE more work, but it is for the "greater good" so that recompiling the entire source is not required.

12-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Ahhhh right I see - so the main goal is to make setting up easy so you dont need to recompile, hence why you need to deal with the classloader, gotcha, nice work! :thumbsup:

12-30-2011, 07:33 AM
You can use spring framework to do this.