View Full Version : MIT License conditions?

Apothem
12-22-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm not too savvy when it comes to licenses and such. So suppose I license my product to GPLv3, and that my software is dependent on another program that is MIT licensed. Does that mean that my program itself is really MIT licensed, and not GPLv3? Or does it mean that the program I am using is still MIT licensed, but my program itself is GPLv3 licensed?

Spookster
12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
It really depends upon how you are using the GPL licensed software and MIT software together. The MIT licensed software cannot infringe upon the GPL license and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Communicating_and_bundling_with_non-GPL_programs

Apothem
12-22-2011, 08:13 PM
The other software is a library for my own software; my software includes/imports its library to make use of its functionality.

From the link, I've only understood "it can only be decided in court"...

Inigoesdr
12-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Or does it mean that the program I am using is still MIT licensed, but my program itself is GPLv3 licensed?

The library, or whatever you are using, maintains the MIT license, and you have to keep a copy of the MIT license with it when you distribute it. It doesn't affect how you license the overall application. The MIT license itself is pretty short and simple. The GPL on the other hand is quite verbose, but there is a lot more to it.

Apothem
12-24-2011, 04:48 AM
How would I keep it? Do I keep the license file in the same directory as the library? I'm not sure how I would reference it.

Inigoesdr
12-24-2011, 05:11 AM
How would I keep it? Do I keep the license file in the same directory as the library? I'm not sure how I would reference it.
I believe that is up to you. Most people will either keep it in the same directory as the library, in the program's root directory, or in your readme/docs in my experience. You don't need to "reference" it per se, unless you mean in your documentation.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum