View Full Version : according to reviews this is too cluttered and complex, please review/improve?

nomanic
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi

I've showed this to a few people, they say its too cluttered

http://www.nomanic.biz/esi/product/index.php?id=0001

I've cut it down a bit since then
is it still to cluttered?
how would you improve it?

click the links to other products, and change currency

Grateful for any feedback/suggestions
Many thanks,
Neil

VIPStephan
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
It is indeed a little crowded there.

Leave the sections more room, give them some space. E. g. the customer reviews section can have more space above it and each review should have more space in between. Likewise, the related items section should have a litte space above. Also, the big heading could use some space below.
It is not clear what these two empty blue rectangles in the header are supposed to do. Remove the dummy text there and make the menu horizontal with the search below.

These are the first things that come to mind.

nomanic
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
thanks stephen, I'll try and implement what you have suggested.
When you login there are 6 buttons, not logged in there are 4, the 2 blue are placeholders for when you are logged in.

I've made your changes, can't really change the buttons, horizontally there isn't enough room unless I make them smaller, feel that would make it more cluttered not less.

Apostropartheid
12-05-2011, 02:29 PM
thanks stephen, I'll try and implement what you have suggested.
When you login there are 6 buttons, not logged in there are 4, the 2 blue are placeholders for when you are logged in.

I've made your changes, can't really change the buttons, horizontally there isn't enough room unless I make them smaller, feel that would make it more cluttered not less.

The reduction in size would make them less cluttered.

Consider extending the width of your page. This would allow some of your elements room to breathe. It looks like you're cramming too much into too small a space. Check out Etsy and Amazon for inspiration.

nomanic
12-05-2011, 04:02 PM
page wider. will mess with buttons.

teedoff
12-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Well, since you used images with defined widths, you can just make the page wider.

You also used positioning for ALOT of your elements, when you should have used floats.

Your wrapper uses position absolute with top and left positions and negative margins...all to get it "centered"?

A width and margin: auto was all you needed to center your page. And of course a valid doctype.

One more thing worth mentioning is you have 71 coding errors. Most are not defining the alt attributes for your images, but some a bit more serious and can break your layout.

Apostropartheid
12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
It does look a fair bit better now. Adding a normal line-height (e.g. in the environment of 1.6) makes it took a lot more sane and clean. Just a touch more padding to the left and right and I think you'll be okay. It was a nice concept to begin with.

teedoff
12-05-2011, 05:37 PM
It does look a fair bit better now. Adding a normal line-height (e.g. in the environment of 1.6) makes it took a lot more sane and clean. Just a touch more padding to the left and right and I think you'll be okay. It was a nice concept to begin with.

ok I dont know what you're seeing Apostro, lol but here is what I see in IE9. Maybe I've missed something? :confused:

nomanic
12-05-2011, 06:39 PM
I was still messing with it then, its changed now. Changing line height now.
I make it valid right at the end teedoff, just mess with it til it's all done, then make it valid markup.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum