View Full Version : PHP frame/includes problem

jhbug
11-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Hi! I'm new to PHP, so forgive me if I am missing an obvious answer. I can't get a small portion of my include or switch statement to work correctly.
I am trying to develop my own site using PHP instead of frames with this layout:

|_________________________|
|_______ Header __________|
|_________________________|
[__ Nav1___ Nav2 ___ Nav3 __]
|_________________________ |
|_______ Content __________|

But within the content, I am trying to make a seperate navigation list like this:

(Content)
| [subnav item1] ___ subContent _____|
| [subnav item2] ___________________|
| [subnav item3] ___________________|

where the subContent changes depending on which subnav item is clicked.

To do this, I've been using something like this:

<!-- Sample -->
<div id="header">
<?php include('header.php')?>
</div>

<a id="nav" href="index.php?page=nav1">Nav1</a>
<a id="nav" href="index.php?page=nav2">Nav2</>
//etc for nav3

<?php
$page = $_GET['page'];

switch ($page){
case "nav1":
include('Nav1.php');
break;
//etc for nav2, nav3
default:
include('home.php');
} ?>

And then within Nav1 I will have:
<div id="subnav">
<?php include('subnav.php')?>
</div>

<div id="subcontent">
<?php
$subc = $_GET['page']
switch($subc){
case "sn1":
include('subnav1.php'); break;
default: include(Nav1_home.php) }?>

etc..

So when I visit my page, everything works except the includes statement for the content. The address bar would say "http://website.com/index.php?page=subnav1" but it would show the home page instead of the content which was written in the file subnav1.php. But however, when I visit say Nav1, the default includes "Nav1_home.php" will show up in the subcontent area

Is this because I can't do multiple switch/include statements within each other? How can I work around that? If not, what am I doing wrong?

I've been trying to search multiple forums for a problem close to this but I have not been able to come across one :[

sunfighter
11-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Saying "using PHP instead of frames " is like saying you want an apple orchard without planting orange trees. We say Of Course :thumbsup:

So you want a horizontal menu and in the main area under that you want a vertical menu

check these out
http://www.alvit.de/css-showcase/css-navigation-techniques-showcase.php

jhbug
11-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Haha... so i'm not totally understanding the apple orchard analogy. Thanks for the website though! it is very useful to see with the different designs. i will be sure to reference it in the future when i am thinking about more designs. however, i don't see it helping this problem much.

i wanted to be able to load the subcontent without having to reload the page everytime a new navigation link has been clicked. however, i realize now that wanting that would be crossing into ajax and jquery territory so i have some more learning to do now...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum