View Full Version : Popup window with no head code needed?

StadriWebmaster
10-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I want to insert a link into an email that opens a new window of a specific size. All of the scripts I find require some code to be inserted into the <head> tag of the page. Obviously this will not work since I am inserting the link into an email. Is there a JavaScript code for opening a popup window that's not dependent on <head> code?

Philip M
10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I want to insert a link into an email that opens a new window of a specific size. All of the scripts I find require some code to be inserted into the <head> tag of the page. Obviously this will not work since I am inserting the link into an email. Is there a JavaScript code for opening a popup window that's not dependent on <head> code?

AFAIK what you are wanting is not possible.

StadriWebmaster
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
AFAIK what you are wanting is not possible.

I don't know what AFAIK means.

I've seen it done before; it has to be possible.

Philip M
10-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know what AFAIK means.

I've seen it done before; it has to be possible.

As Far As I Know.

Where have you seen this done?

Remember that modern browsers will block unrequested popups.

StadriWebmaster
10-04-2011, 04:58 PM
As Far As I Know.

Where have you seen this done?

Remember that modern browsers will block unrequested popups.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the possibility of it getting blocked. Maybe I should just live with the window being full size. Thanks.

Old Pedant
10-05-2011, 02:38 AM
It may work with *SOME* email clients, but not with most.

Most email clients only allow an <a href="xxxx"> in the email content and, indeed, then open a full sized window.

*IF* the user's email client is browser-based (e.g., if they use a browser to read GMail), thne *IF* that client allows JavaScript in email, it could work. (No, it doesn't work with GMail, but it might with other browser-based email readers.)

The only time I have seen this work was many years ago, when the email would have a simple <a> link and that <a> link lead to a page that *immediately* generated a popup and then closed the main window. But that trick doesn't work with most popup blockers today.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum