View Full Version : tournament Chart

sherlockturtle
10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Can anyone help me get a start to make a tournament chart that assighs a value to each player and depending on that value it beats a other player.

Old Pedant
10-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Clear as mud.

And in any case, what good is it, if it is created in HTML and JavaScript??

No person/player would ever be able to affect what any other person/player sees.

I could rate player #37 the best player in the universe...ON MY OWN COMPUTER...but nobody else would ever see it.

To share data you need to do it via server-side code. Most typically, via PHP/JSP/ASP and some database.

So even if we understood what you wanted, we almost surely couldn't write what you want in HTML+JavaScript.

sherlockturtle
10-02-2011, 12:12 AM
It would just be for my computer.

Old Pedant
10-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Well, it's still clear as mud. I can't make sense of your first post, at all.

sherlockturtle
10-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Do you know what a tournament braket is?http://www.samplewords.com/printable-16-team-tournament-bracket/ Im trying to make a javascript version were it sees who beats other players depending on a point value each has.

Old Pedant
10-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I helped create a "March Madness" tournament bracket script here last year (look for it).

But I have no idea what "tournament chart that assighs [sic] a value to each player" is supposed to mean. You mean you want the computer to randomly choose which player wins each "game" to randomly produce a final winner??

sherlockturtle
10-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I helped create a "March Madness" tournament bracket script here last year (look for it).

But I have no idea what "tournament chart that assighs [sic] a value to each player" is supposed to mean. You mean you want the computer to randomly choose which player wins each "game" to randomly produce a final winner??

I found the march maddness. But the computer whould descide the winner depending on point values. So if player 1 has 10 points and player 2 has 8 points player 1 would move on.

Old Pedant
10-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Fine. Who assigns the points? And what is the range? Does the computer randomly assign points in the range zero to 937? Or what?

If you don't give *COMPLETE* specifications of a problem, how can you expect somebody to guess what you are after? Crystal balls are forbidden in CodingForums.com (though occasionally somebody sneaks one in).

Old Pedant
10-02-2011, 02:33 AM
And how many brackets are there? And are they divided into regions like March Madness is? And who supplies the names of the teams? From where?

And and and and...

If you created the HTML first and then asked only for help with the JS, that might be best way to go.

sherlockturtle
10-02-2011, 02:42 AM
The player sets the points. theres 16 brakets the names can be inputed. The point ranges does not matter.

Old Pedant
10-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Well, I'll still ask you to create the HTML first, so I don't have to do all the work.

sherlockturtle
10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Well, I'll still ask you to create the HTML first, so I don't have to do all the work.

I will make it. I dont nead all the code i just need some pointers. But i can make the html so you can get a better idea. Would you want the brackets input boxes or somthing else.

sherlockturtle
10-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Ok specifications + Html

So specifications would be that the person using it sets the names + value.

To see who beats each player the value + a random number. Who ever is greater that player wins.

HTML(this is using inut boxes)

<html>
<head>

</head>
<body>
<h3>.....................................Tier 1.........................Tier 2....................Tier 3</h3>
1<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="a" />
<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="ab" /><br/>
2<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="b" />

<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="abcd" /><br/>
3<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="c" />
<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="cd" /><br/>
4<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="d" />

<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="abcdefgh" /><br/>
5<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="e" />
<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="ef" /><br/>
6<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="f" />

<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="efgh" /><br/>
7<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="g" />
<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="gh" /><br/>
8<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="h" />

<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="winner" /><br/>
9<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="i" />
<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="ij" /><br/>
10<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="j"/>

<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="ijkl" /><br/>
11<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="k" />
<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="kl" /><br/>
12<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="l" />

<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="ijklmnop" /><br/>
13<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="m" />
<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="mn" /><br/>
14<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="n" />

<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="mnop" /><br/>
15<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="o" />
<br/><input style="background-color:transparent;border:0px solid white;" disabled /><input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="op" /><br/>
16<input type="text" value="" size=15 Id="p" />

<br/>
<br/>
<h3>Set Value</h3>
1<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p1" />2<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p2" />3<input type="text" value="" size=1Id="p3" />4<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p4" />5<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p5" />6<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p6" />7<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p7" />8<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p8" />9<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p9" />10<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p10" />11<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p11" />12<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p12" />13<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p13" />14<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p14" />15<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p15" />16<input type="text" value="" size=1 Id="p16" />
<br/>
<input type="button" value="Set"/>
<br/>
<input type="button" value="Start" />

</body>
</html>
So would you have any pointers for me to start???

sherlockturtle
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
So anyone?

Old Pedant
10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Haven't forgotten you.

Is that incredibly ugly HTML caused by your use of "inut boxes" (whatever they are)?

Couldn't we use some CSS class names to make it readable? Or would that mess up "inut boxes"?

Old Pedant
10-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Ugh...that HTML seems worthless, to me.

You have no way to put in the names *AND* scores as separate values.

Question: Do you *want* to put the names in via <form> fields? Or do you want the names to be preloaded, maybe as names in a JavaScript array?

Question: Do you want to be able to come back to the page tomorrow, after entering the scores for the first round today, and be able to pull the page back up with the scores entered today remembered? ANd so the new brackets remembered?

sherlockturtle
10-04-2011, 01:56 PM
sorry i was not sure what you wanted. If you good give me some javascript i could create the html around it? I could put in the names and values using arrays.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum