View Full Version : Selecting (all) from a field

FlashDance
09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know how I can select (all) from a specific field, in this case - .category"?
Something like:

select id from products where category = *

I am using it for:

if ($_POST['category'] == "(Any)") {
$_POST['category'] = "*";

... then I'd be using:
select id from products where category = ".$_POST['category']."

thesam101
09-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi FlashDance

no need for the where clause.

the query:
select id from products

by itself will return all the IDs. :thumbsup:

FlashDance
09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi,

This code won't help because it is not basing the id's off category.

abduraooft
09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Something like:

select id from products where category = *

select id from products

... then I'd be using:
select id from products where category = ".$_POST['category']."
Why would you need to do that?

FlashDance
09-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Its too complex to explain.

... so do you know how it can be done?

FlashDance
09-30-2011, 01:03 PM
select id from products

Hi,

This code won't help because it is not basing the id's off category......

FlashDance
09-30-2011, 01:08 PM
I've been asking all around the internet if anyone know how I can select (all) from a specific field (in this case - category), but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer, its either an answer that does not address my question which was given based on an incorrect assumption that they know what I am trying to do, or some coding preacher trying telling me to code this way, and when I say I don't wish to do that because I feel comfortable my way, the person arrogantly turns around and says "well, I'm not helping you!".

People really need to learn how to have a no-bull **** conversation, instead of kicking **** into peoples faces.

This isn't directed at anyone on codingforums.com... am just saying how hard it is to get a simple answer when asking for help from computer programmers. :)

djm0219
09-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Based on your original post the answer provided in post number 2 is correct. If you are intent on using a WHERE clause, as shown in the last example of your original post, change it to:

SELECT `id` FROM `products` WHERE `category` LIKE '%'

That should get you all of the IDs regardless of their category which is what you appear to be asking for (the answer in post 2 should get you the same results).

FlashDance
09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Dear djm0219,

I tried your code and got this:
http://i52.tinypic.com/107m7tg.png

FlashDance
09-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Ok, your code was actually correct. Appology!

SOMEHOW "mysql> " got in the code!!

FlashDance
09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I am trying to thank you, but there is an error due to me using a web proxy to access this site. I will login directly later on when my connection throttle to 72kbps has been lifted.

Thanks in the mean time! :)

guelphdad
09-30-2011, 10:33 PM
I've been asking all around the internet if anyone know how I can select (all) from a specific field (in this case - category), but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer, its either an answer that does not address my question which was given based on an incorrect assumption that they know what I am trying to do, or some coding preacher trying telling me to code this way, and when I say I don't wish to do that because I feel comfortable my way, the person arrogantly turns around and says "well, I'm not helping you!".

The problem though could be the way you are asking a question or the fact that you come to the forum(s) with a specific answer in mind and you aren't willing to listen to other people's ideas.

Remember you may be explaining your problem in a way that makes sense to you, but it may be that you are not explaining it a straight forward as you believe you are and THAT may contribute to the problem as well.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum