View Full Version : Copying browser favorites to a db from javascript

deepna
09-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi,

I have a requirement where, on a link, when the user clicks, the app should copy all browser favorites and write to a db (table that has two columns, one with fav name and one col for the website link).

Thoughts on how to get this done ? How can I read the the browser favorites from a javascript ?

Thanks,
Deepna

blaze4218
09-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Stalker much?

JK, I don't have any input here, just had to make a funny :D

deepna
09-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Its more of a documentation requirement, a way to backup favorites and restore at any point of time.....

blaze4218
09-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry, couldn't help myself, I hope the following will make amends:
http://tycoontalk.freelancer.com/javascript-forum/25978-accessing-favorites.html
I found especially useful the following:

Just to add......

You can't use client-side JavaScript to read directories.
Reading bookmarks/favorites is a privacy issue so will not be supported in client-side JavaScript.
and:

Hmm, well ok, let me confirm:

It IS possible to make directories, add files, execute DOS programs from client side Javascript. The issue is to make HTA applications instead of a htm pages.
r
so, maybe an HTA app in the "Trusted Zone"...

deepna
09-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks blaze, let me explore further if i get something will post here....

Thx
Deepna

Old Pedant
09-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Can be done with MSIE only, but again only if the site presenting the HTML page is *highly* trusted and even then only if the user allows it.

In general, though, this would best be done with an executable program, not browser-based code, at all. It's not an appropriate task for a browser based application.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum