View Full Version : Photoshop: Resizing Images (shrinking) Causes Transparency

cineweekly.com
09-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Why, when shrinking images, does the outermost pixel (not always all edges) become semi transparent? I figured some sort of aliasing thing but can't solve it. I can usually figure out Photoshop since I've been using it for nearly 13 years but I can't pinpoint this.

http://i55.tinypic.com/14lr5hh.png

I don't think it happens when resampling "bilinear" but I don't like that option.

cineweekly.com
09-24-2011, 03:39 AM
So does anyone know what's causing this and how to prevent it?

morongo47
09-24-2011, 06:56 AM
I never noticed it until you posted. But your right, I zoomed in to 800% and there it was. I guess it's some sort of artifact from the resizing algo, I don't have a clue.

I haven't run across any other posts about it, it's pretty unnoticeable unless it's pointed out, I guess that's why.

Does it mess with your image composting at all?

cineweekly.com
09-24-2011, 09:00 PM
It's noticeable for my site because I use a dark background and this causes a light border that makes the images stand out when I don't want them to. I have to add a black background layer underneath or crop out a pixel layer. It's just an unnecessary step that I'd like to avoid.

Apostropartheid
09-25-2011, 01:09 AM
This happens when the image is not snapped to the nearest pixel. This is the smallest measurement possible, so Photoshop makes it semi-transparent to give the illusion it's midway between the pixels.

gcmax
09-26-2011, 05:03 PM
No, the reason is image interpolation, here is the remedy;

Go to edit, preferences, general and then change the "Image Interpolation:" dropdown to "Nearest Neighbour (preserve hard edges)".

Now you will find that image resizing and free transforming will be free of this phenomena.

cineweekly.com
09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
No, the reason is image interpolation, here is the remedy;

Go to edit, preferences, general and then change the "Image Interpolation:" dropdown to "Nearest Neighbour (preserve hard edges)".

Now you will find that image resizing and free transforming will be free of this phenomena.

I've tried all the other resampling methods but they don't help. "Nearest Neighbor" has always been the worst except when working with 8-bit style graphics like video game sprites.

gcmax
09-29-2011, 05:07 PM
I've tried all the other resampling methods but they don't help. "Nearest Neighbor" has always been the worst except when working with 8-bit style graphics like video game sprites.

Does what it says on the tin and preserves the edges of an image, it's not something I use as nearly all of my work involves size reduction so I choose the Bicubic Sharper option which provides sharper anti-aliasing.

There's an article here which is an interesting read: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-interpolation.htm

faithjhung
10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
i also experience this. what i do is export on Ai (adobe illustrator) and resize, export back to photoshop.

imanaseo
10-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi i am Ana Taylor n i m new here,
anybody want to teach my? Photoshop ::confused::confused:

Major Payne
10-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi i am Ana Taylor n i m new here,
anybody want to teach my? Photoshop ::confused::confused:There are thousands of Photoshop tutorials online. Adobe has many as well as other sites. Just Google for what topic you wish to learn as it is hard to "teach" someone via a post.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum