View Full Version : css help

esthera
09-12-2011, 07:45 PM
http://d11882157.a148.awebforyou.com/product.asp?productid=444

if you look at this page and scroll down there is a table that is showing after a big space after the description - there is no spacing in the html - -what can be causing this?

teedoff
09-12-2011, 07:51 PM
You have a BUNCH of <br> tags after:

Sizing Key: This fabric is not as stretchy as our regular viscose Lycra

that last paragraph. Not sure why you'd need to insert 20 or 30 line breaks.

esthera
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't want any line breaks - and I don't see them in the source

where are they coming from?

LearningCoder
09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
You must have put line-breaks in. He is referring to the <br /> tags.

esthera
09-12-2011, 08:14 PM
no I don't see it in my source or when I view source in firefox

not sure where you see it and why the browser would be making line breaks where they don't exist

tracknut
09-12-2011, 08:27 PM
You're using a table layout, and have 296 errors (http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fd11882157.a148.awebforyou.com%2Fproduct.asp%3Fproductid%3D444) in the code, including some relating to missing table tags. I'd take a look at cleaning up those errors, it's likely they are responsible for the issue...

Dave

coothead
09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi there esthera,

putting the <br> issue to one side for the moment, your page does have 296 Errors and 18 warnings...
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fd11882157.a148.awebforyou.com%2Fproduct.asp%3Fproductid%3D444
...that require your immediate attention. :eek:

coothead

teedoff
09-12-2011, 08:41 PM
<ol><br><li>* Shiny top for girls with long sleeves for
layering or wearing as a dressier top</li><br><li>*
This shiny addition will jazz up any basic outfit</li><br><li>
* 90% polyester/ 10% Lycra for both a flattering and fitted look </li>
<br><li>* Long waisted body for full coverage without rising above
waist</li><br><li>* Fitted for modest layering and beauty</li>
<br><li>* Modest neck opening, but not confining</li><br><li>*
<a href="#">Available in White </a>
with metallic silver or black with metallic silver</li><br></ol><br><p>
<br />Sizing Key: This fabric is not as stretchy as our regular viscose Lycra</p>
<br><table border="0"><br><tbody><br><tr><br><td>Size in &nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
<br><td>Width &nbsp;</td><br><td>Length &nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
<br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>Inches</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td>
<br><td>&nbsp;</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>XS</td><br>
<td>13.5</td><br><td>18</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>S</td>
<br><td>14</td><br><td>19</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>M</td>
<br><td>14.5</td><br><td>20</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>L</td>
<br><td>15</td><br><td>21</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>XL</td>
<br><td>15.5</td><br><td>22</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br></tr><br>
</tbody><br></table>

This is the section of code I was referring to. You can see all the <br> tags here.

But as others said, you do have alot of errors that should also be addressed.

LearningCoder
09-13-2011, 08:05 AM
If you get stuck with some errors, post the error and we may be able to give you some guidance about how to resolve the related issue.

Regards,

LC.

esthera
09-13-2011, 08:10 AM
thanks

my problem is the text is generated through a tinymce editor so I don't have control over it

in tinymce it looks fine - i'm still trying to figure out what is adding line breaks

LearningCoder
09-13-2011, 08:29 AM
If that is the amount of errors and warnings you are getting, i'd create it all myself. If I was in your position though, I would just take out the <br /> tags one by one and see what effect it has on the page. Bit of trial and error I suppose, see how you get on.

Regards,

LC.

alykins
09-13-2011, 06:14 PM
just to add in... i went in and deleted all the <br> tags and it snugs the table up to the text fine... those <br>'s are the problem... having no clue what tinymce is i googled it... WYSIWYG editors are notorious for adding in extra "junk" to make it "WYSIWYG"... check in the application settings and see if you can change it so when you hit "Enter" it doesn't add in the allocated <br> to go with it... From what I've read about WYSIWYG editors it is probably adding in <br>'s without your knowledge "thinking" it is doing the correct thing and in reality screwing everything up
best of luck

esthera
09-13-2011, 06:18 PM
the problem is the <br> are not in my original code

a browser must be converting it and it's baffling me how - I see the original code (that's pulled from a database) and there is no <br> - if you look on firefox source you can also see there is no <br>

this is the code copied from the original code - not what the browser is rendering

<table border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Size in &nbsp;&nbsp;</td> <td>Width &nbsp;</td> <td>Length &nbsp;&nbsp;</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Inches</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td>XS</td> <td>13.5</td> <td>18</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td>S</td> <td>14</td> <td>19</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td>M</td> <td>14.5</td> <td>20</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td>L</td> <td>15</td> <td>21</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td>XL</td> <td>15.5</td> <td>22</td> <td>&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> </tr> </tbody> </table>

any other ideas?

teedoff
09-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I found this link (http://www.tinymce.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9599) to the tinyMCE forums that seems to mention this issue. If this doesn't seem like a viable solution, you might consider posting this in their forum, since I believe this is a software(tinyMCE) issue.

alykins
09-13-2011, 06:42 PM
if you look on firefox source you can also see there is no <br>

sorry to say... (taken right from fire fox view source)

<br><table border="0"><br><tbody><br><tr><br><td>Size in &nbsp;&nbsp;</td><br><td>Width &nbsp;</td><br><td>Length &nbsp;&nbsp;</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>Inches</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>XS</td><br><td>13.5</td><br><td>18</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>S</td><br><td>14</td><br><td>19</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>M</td><br><td>14.5</td><br><td>20</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>L</td><br><td>15</td><br><td>21</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br><td>XL</td><br><td>15.5</td><br><td>22</td><br><td>&nbsp;</td><br></tr><br><tr><br></tr><br></tbody><br></table><br></p>

note all the <br>'s... I think what is happening (since to the best of my knowledge you cannot have <br>'s between <td>'s or <tr>'s etc) is they are all "popping" out if the table (since they can;t be there anyways) and "popping" to the front of the table element and thus pushing it down

esthera
09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
thanks

the source in my database is clean so I don't know if it's tinymce but I will look into it more

your right firefox also adds it in the source though in my database it's not there
maybe it's a hidden type of line break that's being added as <br> in hte browser

teedoff
09-13-2011, 06:46 PM
thanks

the source in my database is clean so I don't know if it's tinymce but I will look into it more

your right firefox also adds it in the source though in my database it's not there
maybe it's a hidden type of line break that's being added as <br> in hte browser

Again, reading the link I gave seems to suggest the way tinyMCE is set up, there is a bit of code that automatically inserts line breaks thats not visible in the source view within this wysiwyg application. They're only visible once a browser has rendered the code.

esthera
09-13-2011, 06:49 PM
thanks - I tried that - it didn't work but I wonder if it's something that's saved from the past ones and how to get rid of it -

alykins
09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
what database are you using? and how are you calling the text from it?

esthera
09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
data is saved in a mssql database and when I view it in the database I see no <br> extra

it's very strange

teedoff
09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
thanks - I tried that - it didn't work but I wonder if it's something that's saved from the past ones and how to get rid of it -

Well you may have to visit their forums over at tinyMCE. I've never used it, so I cant say how you would change this behavior. Unless someone here has used it, you're not likely to get a good answer.

alykins
09-13-2011, 06:57 PM
can we see your call function? (that populates the div or p or whatever it is you are populating... cell?)

LearningCoder
09-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I'd get myself a free text editor and just simply look at some tutorials. HTML is probably as easy to learn as learning your native was. Basic CSS is also not very difficult to grasp. Try to find yourself a good video tutorial which actually talks you through step by step. I've found from my own experience that when you have a video/someone talking you through the examples, it is a lot easier to grasp.

Having said that I learnt HTML + CSS through several books and tbh i'm still learning the more extensive parts of the languages.

Check out http://www.w3schools.com for many many simple examples.

Hope everything goes well,

Regards,

LC.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum