View Full Version : How to 'send options' to function?

xFinaLx
09-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm trying to make a jQuery slider, and I want the user (the person who installs it on their site) to be able to specify options easily. I know the Nivo slider does it from within the $(document).ready() event, but I can't figure out how to do it that way. I want it to be like this:

<script>
$(document).ready(function() {
myFunction({
option1: 'value1',
option2: 'value2',
etc: 'etc'
});
});
</script>

But how do I recover this data so I can use it later?

rnd me
09-09-2011, 07:59 PM
jQuery.fn.myPlugin.config=function(cfg){
jQuery.fn.myPlugin.CF=cfg; //or manually add props to default config one-at-a-time if use input is to be validated...
return this;
};

then...

$.fn.myPlugin.config({
speed:4,
stop: false
}).init();

xFinaLx
09-10-2011, 05:14 PM
jQuery.fn.myPlugin.config=function(cfg){
jQuery.fn.myPlugin.CF=cfg; //or manually add props to default config one-at-a-time if use input is to be validated...
return this;
};

then...

$.fn.myPlugin.config({
speed:4,
stop: false
}).init();

I don't exactly understand... can you elaborate a bit?

xFinaLx
09-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I really need some help with this, anyone know how to do it?

rnd me
09-11-2011, 11:29 PM
are you making a jQuery plug-in, or just a script that uses jQuery?

you can accept options at
run time as an optional argument,
at load time as a config call or a static object being assigned to a config path,
or pre-load time as an editable section of your distributable file - often seen at the top of script files.

my example assumed a jQuery plug-in.
it could call config() inline on a regular jQuery chain, continuing to actually invoke it with typical passed arguments after the next dot.

where you store these settings is up to you, a settings path to an object is the simplest, but be sure to validate the input if this is going to be distributed...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum