View Full Version : Need web server simulator for my desktop

vicki_b
07-22-2003, 06:42 AM
I have a number of ASP pages that I have been unable to test on my desktop and as my web server is currently off line I am unable to test my coding - is there a freeware or shareware application that I can download that will simulate a web server on my desktop so that I can continue creating and testing my website???

Thanks

Vicki:confused:

Spookster
07-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Well for MS Windows with the exception of WinXP Home edition you can probably install PWS(Personal Web Server).

STDestiny
07-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Yeah, really the only way to 'simulate' a remote web server is to install a web server (such as PWS) and then set it only to accept requests from 127.0.0.1. I would find out what server your remote server is using and install that (so you can make sure it works on that particular server.)

-Andrew

vicki_b
07-24-2003, 01:42 AM
Thanks guys - as always you have been extremely helpful.

Thanks again

Vicki:thumbsup:

Scrowler
07-24-2003, 08:20 AM
If you're running 98 then it comes on the CD. Otherwise just download it. I think win2k has an even better version of it. It's alot more stress free than live web testing because its soo much easier to set permissions on PWS, you just change one settings and it changes it for all file handling issues but on the web! You have to CHMOD every single file! Argh

stunix
08-29-2003, 08:02 PM
or indeed you could use the most popular, commonly used, free to download, opensource, easy installation, licence free of webservers, APACHE. Runs on anything (probably even your fridge!)

oracleguy
08-29-2003, 08:25 PM
If you have Windows 2000 or XP Professional you can use IIS (Internet Information Services) instead of PWS. It is included as one of the options when you install. If you didn't select it when you installed windows, you can add it in from the Add/Remove programs window > windows components.

I don't even know if PWS will work on 2k or XP.

oracleguy
08-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by stunix
or indeed you could use the most popular, commonly used, free to download, opensource, easy installation, licence free of webservers, APACHE. Runs on anything (probably even your fridge!)

Except they probably don't want to pay 500 dollars for a component to run their ASP pages on Apache. :rolleyes:

IIS and PWS are free too.

stunix
08-29-2003, 10:52 PM
ok, as a pure php coder, with a brief passing interest in asp, can some one tell me the difference between a microsoft licenced product which is rumered to be buggy (ASP), and a cross browser, aim to please everybody non licenced product?(PHP)

really, i dont know enough about asp to know why people choose this over that!!

oracleguy
08-29-2003, 11:39 PM
How can you say php is cross browser? All server side languages are cross browser. :rolleyes: The code is ran before it is sent to the client.

And to answer your question, it is basically just like asking this question (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25420).

stunix
04-12-2004, 07:06 AM
whoops, i meant cross platform rather than cross browser, sorry, silly me. oh, the language page? looks like i won, a whopping 5 people got the vote for PHP!

didnt you mean run at the server rather than ran at the server.

ho hum. :rolleyes:

raf
04-12-2004, 08:08 AM
oh, the language page? looks like i won, a whopping 5 people got the vote for PHP!

didnt you mean run at the server rather than ran at the server.

ho hum. :rolleyes:
Looks more like you didn't read that thread and didn't ran a search to find the discussions about this topic in other threads, as was suggested there.
A poll like that with only 7 votes only tells me : nobody is intrested to go over this subject once again.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum